census 1881 Richards and Caswell

  • jamesteebee
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2006
      Hello Alexander, forum members and chance readers of this forum.

      My connection to St. Helena is through my grandfather, Daniel
      Brooks, born in Port Elizabeth S.A. in 1920 died London 1983. His
      mother was one Sophia Richards from St Helena, who seems to have
      arrived in Port Elizabeth around the turn of the century. My aunt
      has more detailed, and thus more useful details about her which I
      will post when I receive them. I know from my aunt that Sophia had
      some connection with Caswells and Wades, but, again, I need to look
      into this.

      I have been fascinated reading what is available on internet
      regarding the history of the islanders and have many questions which
      I hope to post in due time. To begin with, though, I'd like to know
      if the 1881 census lists all inhabitants of the island at the time:
      I have been told that no Caswell is listed, nor a Wade, and that
      there is only one Richards, but I know that today on S.H. Richards
      is not an uncommon name and, I believe, Caswell, too, is not rare. I
      have also read of a Private James Caswell arriving in April 1813.
      Does anyone know if he is connected with namesakes living on the
      island today.

      Thanks.

      James
    • jamesteebee