My visit to St Helena

  • Robin Woodruff
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5, 2006
      Dear Dr Schulenburg
      I have an interest in the prisoners of the Boer War and intend visiting South Africa in October with a trip to St Helena from the 6th to the 15th November for research purposes..
      I have a collection of walking sticks and other items made by the POW's and would like to do some research on the names carved on them.
      I am wondering if there are any relatives remaining on the Island. I note from The Tourist guide to the Anglo Boer War printed in 2000 that Mr Basil George whose Grandfather remained on the island was operating  as a guide at that time.

      I also note in Colin Benbow's book on POW's in Bermuda, Dr C.A.R Schulenburg's  contributions and wonder if this is a relative of your self. are you by any chance located in St Helena or South Africa as it would be of interest to meet with you also.

      I hope you do not object to me contacting you through this media and look forward to your reply with interest.
      Sincerely Robin A Woodruff

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • astrogirl200
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5, 2006
        Dear Robin,

        I don't know if this is of interest, but my relative, Herbert Baumann,
        was a POW on St. Helena during the Boer War. He returned to South
        Africa almost blind.

        With kind regards,

        Amanda Jermyn

        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Robin Woodruff
        <rawaldmeister@...> wrote:

        > Dear Dr Schulenburg
        > I have an interest in the prisoners of the Boer War and intend
        visiting South Africa in October with a trip to St Helena from the 6th
        to the 15th November for research purposes..
        > I have a collection of walking sticks and other items made by the
        POW's and would like to do some research on the names carved on them.
        > I am wondering if there are any relatives remaining on the Island.
        I note from The Tourist guide to the Anglo Boer War printed in 2000
        that Mr Basil George whose Grandfather remained on the island was
        operating as a guide at that time.

        > I also note in Colin Benbow's book on POW's in Bermuda, Dr C.A.R
        Schulenburg's contributions and wonder if this is a relative of your
        self. are you by any chance located in St Helena or South Africa as it
        would be of interest to meet with you also.

        > I hope you do not object to me contacting you through this media
        and look forward to your reply with interest.
        > Sincerely Robin A Woodruff

      • Robin Woodruff
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 14, 2006
          Thank you Amanda,I assume the family still lives in SA.
          It is always interesting to hear from relatives especially if they have any documented history, photo's, recollections/stories or other items the POW 's brought back..
          thankRobin

          <rawaldmeister@ ...> wrote:

          > Dear Dr Schulenburg
          > I have an interest in the prisoners of the Boer War and intend
          visiting South Africa in October with a trip to St Helena from the 6th
          to the 15th November for research purposes..
          > I have a collection of walking sticks and other items made by the
          POW's and would like to do some research on the names carved on them.
          > I am wondering if there are any relatives remaining on the Island.
          I note from The Tourist guide to the Anglo Boer War printed in 2000
          that Mr Basil George whose Grandfather remained on the island was
          operating as a guide at that time.

          > I also note in Colin Benbow's book on POW's in Bermuda, Dr C.A.R
          Schulenburg' s contributions and wonder if this is a relative of your
          self. are you by any chance located in St Helena or South Africa as it
          would be of interest to meet with you also.

          > I hope you do not object to me contacting you through this media
          and look forward to your reply with interest.
          > Sincerely Robin A Woodruff

        • Amanda Jermyn
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 14, 2006
            Dear Robin,
            I myself live in the USA, although I was born in South Africa. I don't know whether Herbert Baumann's descendants are still in SA. He lived in Port Elizabeth, and married Miemie van Huysteen. Their children were Caroline, Jeff and Johanna.
            All the best,
            Amanda

            <rawaldmeister@ ...> wrote:

            > Dear Dr Schulenburg
            > I have an interest in the prisoners of the Boer War and intend
            visiting South Africa in October with a trip to St Helena from the 6th
            to the 15th November for research purposes..
            > I have a collection of walking sticks and other items made by the
            POW's and would like to do some research on the names carved on them.
            > I am wondering if there are any relatives remaining on the Island.
            I note from The Tourist guide to the Anglo Boer War printed in 2000
            that Mr Basil George whose Grandfather remained on the island was
            operating as a guide at that time.

            > I also note in Colin Benbow's book on POW's in Bermuda, Dr C.A.R
            Schulenburg' s contributions and wonder if this is a relative of your
            self. are you by any chance located in St Helena or South Africa as it
            would be of interest to meet with you also.

            > I hope you do not object to me contacting you through this media
            and look forward to your reply with interest.
            > Sincerely Robin A Woodruff

          • Robin Woodruff
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 10, 2006
              Thanks Amanda