Re: Ancestor search Timm Family

  • goffal2005
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 20, 2006

      Hi

      I know this family very well Loius Timm died many years ago i know the children as a child, his son Patrick (Pat ) has left for St Helena to settle and he regulary visited my mom Inez Beard. Loius Timm had a brother Frank his son Mervyn is my mom's neighbour and his brother Niel always visits my mom so if i can help with more info contact me. I live in Cape Town SA and my mobile is   0836476223 and my work email address is june@... which will be much easier and we could have a one on one email chat.

      Regards

      June Beard

      Will look into the Beard family tree for you

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "gnorris51" <genieandjim@...> wrote:

      > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "carolinetimm2" carolinetimm2@ wrote:
      > >
      > > My name is Caroline Timm from Malawi and I believe my great
      > > grandfather John Arthur Timm came from St Helena before settling in
      > > Malawi. He had a Brother James Arthur Timm and he settled in
      > > Zimbabwe. I would like to trace any family that I might still have
      > > there. My great grandfather, my grandfather and my father have all
      > > passed away but I still have an Uncle and Aunty's from my fathers
      > > family.
      > > Thank you
      > >
      > In my family line (the corker line) a Lucinda Fainbridge Corker married a Louis Timm and
      > they had five children: patrick, Audrey, Fainbridge (Fay), Olive and Leon. That is all I know -
      > does this ring a bell? gnorris

    • janet.suffield
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 18 1:27 PM
        Hello Caroline.  Saw your message on the St Helena Forum from some years ago. My great grandfather was Francis Robert TIMM, who I believe was father of your John Arthur TIMM.  My grandfather was Henry Charles TIMM, a brother of John.  Would love to hear from you. Best wishes, Janet Suffield.
      • John Gardiner
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 20 8:18 AM
          Hi Caroline and Janet,

          Not a direct relative but my great x 3 grandmother, Louisa Casar, daughter of Samuel Casar an emancipated slave, married a Richard Tim (sometimes spelt with a double "m") on 8 March 1851. Richard was 22 years of age, while Louisa was 23, and the wedding certificate states Richard was a carpenter. On his baptismal certificate of 9 April 1828, Richard's parents are named as Francis and Constantia.  Francis was a baker.  Richard was born on 12 February 1829. Francis and Constantia had at least two other children: Francis Jnr. born in December 1818 and Phoebe, born 5 April 1827.

          The marriage did not last long. I've not have a date or a cause for Richard's death, but he was buried on the 7 January 1852. Louisa then re-married Samuel Gardner - my great x 3 grandfather - a soldier on the island, on 10 July 1852. On 2 February 1853 they had a son and named him Richard William Gardner. Perhaps naming the child Richard was in memory of Louisa's first husband as it is not a common name in my family.

          Best regards,

          John Gardiner
        • caroline timm
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 22 6:53 AM
            Hello John

            Thank you for the useful information, I will forward this information to my dad's cousin who is trying to put the Timm family try together. I will have a look to see if any of these names appear on the tree and will share with you what we have so far

            Caroline

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 22 7:56 AM
              Hi John

              Thank you for the message and info.  Very interesting and I don’t think I had much information on Richard Tim (not checked my notes fully yet). Yes there were more children of Francis and Constantia. To date, I have Francis born c. 1818, John 1820, Henry John 1823 (my direct line, I believe), Joseph 1825, Phoebe 1827, Richard 1829 and Harriet 1831.  I hope to check out my notes over the next few days because I know I have more info on some of these siblings.  I do remember finding Louisa’s marriage to Samuel Gardner.  Lovely to have contact with their descendants.

              Best wishes
              Janet Suffield

              Message 6 of 11 , May 1, 2015
                That's great, Caroline. Do you or Janet know anything about the early history of the Timm family on the island? Reason I ask is that Louisa Casar was the daughter of Samuel Casar and his wife, Margaret, both of whom were slaves on the island. I just wondered if the Timm family came from a similar background.

                Best regards,

                John

                Sent from my iPhone

                Message 7 of 11 , May 1, 2015
                  Likewise, Janet. While I'm sorry your ancestor passed away so soon after his marriage, but on the other hand if that had not happened I might mot be here today! It would be interesting to know what Richard's cause of death was.

                  Best wishes,

                  John

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 5, 2015
                    Hi John

                    we are still trying to get more information compiled on the Timm family and St Helena and how they came to be on the Island.

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 5, 2015
                      Good luck!

                      Sent from my iPhone