Re: Ancestor search Timm Family

  • goffal2005
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 20 10:56 AM

      Hi

      I know this family very well Loius Timm died many years ago i know the children as a child, his son Patrick (Pat ) has left for St Helena to settle and he regulary visited my mom Inez Beard. Loius Timm had a brother Frank his son Mervyn is my mom's neighbour and his brother Niel always visits my mom so if i can help with more info contact me. I live in Cape Town SA and my mobile is   0836476223 and my work email address is june@... which will be much easier and we could have a one on one email chat.

      Regards

      June Beard

      Will look into the Beard family tree for you

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "gnorris51" <genieandjim@...> wrote:

      > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "carolinetimm2" carolinetimm2@ wrote:
      > >
      > > My name is Caroline Timm from Malawi and I believe my great
      > > grandfather John Arthur Timm came from St Helena before settling in
      > > Malawi. He had a Brother James Arthur Timm and he settled in
      > > Zimbabwe. I would like to trace any family that I might still have
      > > there. My great grandfather, my grandfather and my father have all
      > > passed away but I still have an Uncle and Aunty's from my fathers
      > > family.
      > > Thank you
      > >
      > In my family line (the corker line) a Lucinda Fainbridge Corker married a Louis Timm and
      > they had five children: patrick, Audrey, Fainbridge (Fay), Olive and Leon. That is all I know -
      > does this ring a bell? gnorris

    • janet.suffield
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 18
        Hello Caroline.  Saw your message on the St Helena Forum from some years ago. My great grandfather was Francis Robert TIMM, who I believe was father of your John Arthur TIMM.  My grandfather was Henry Charles TIMM, a brother of John.  Would love to hear from you. Best wishes, Janet Suffield.
      • John Gardiner
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 20
          Hi Caroline and Janet,

          Not a direct relative but my great x 3 grandmother, Louisa Casar, daughter of Samuel Casar an emancipated slave, married a Richard Tim (sometimes spelt with a double "m") on 8 March 1851. Richard was 22 years of age, while Louisa was 23, and the wedding certificate states Richard was a carpenter. On his baptismal certificate of 9 April 1828, Richard's parents are named as Francis and Constantia.  Francis was a baker.  Richard was born on 12 February 1829. Francis and Constantia had at least two other children: Francis Jnr. born in December 1818 and Phoebe, born 5 April 1827.

          The marriage did not last long. I've not have a date or a cause for Richard's death, but he was buried on the 7 January 1852. Louisa then re-married Samuel Gardner - my great x 3 grandfather - a soldier on the island, on 10 July 1852. On 2 February 1853 they had a son and named him Richard William Gardner. Perhaps naming the child Richard was in memory of Louisa's first husband as it is not a common name in my family.

          Best regards,

          John Gardiner
        • caroline timm
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 22
            Hello John

            Thank you for the useful information, I will forward this information to my dad's cousin who is trying to put the Timm family try together. I will have a look to see if any of these names appear on the tree and will share with you what we have so far

            Caroline

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 22
              Hi John

              Thank you for the message and info.  Very interesting and I don’t think I had much information on Richard Tim (not checked my notes fully yet). Yes there were more children of Francis and Constantia. To date, I have Francis born c. 1818, John 1820, Henry John 1823 (my direct line, I believe), Joseph 1825, Phoebe 1827, Richard 1829 and Harriet 1831.  I hope to check out my notes over the next few days because I know I have more info on some of these siblings.  I do remember finding Louisa’s marriage to Samuel Gardner.  Lovely to have contact with their descendants.

              Best wishes
              Janet Suffield

              Message 6 of 11 , May 1
                That's great, Caroline. Do you or Janet know anything about the early history of the Timm family on the island? Reason I ask is that Louisa Casar was the daughter of Samuel Casar and his wife, Margaret, both of whom were slaves on the island. I just wondered if the Timm family came from a similar background.

                Best regards,

                John

                Sent from my iPhone

                Message 7 of 11 , May 1
                  Likewise, Janet. While I'm sorry your ancestor passed away so soon after his marriage, but on the other hand if that had not happened I might mot be here today! It would be interesting to know what Richard's cause of death was.

                  Best wishes,

                  John

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 5
                    Hi John

                    we are still trying to get more information compiled on the Timm family and St Helena and how they came to be on the Island.

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 5
                      Good luck!

                      Sent from my iPhone