Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Margaret Louisa ISAAC

  • Sue Eggett
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 13, 2006
      Thank you for responding. I have interests in the surname ISAAC mainly for Margaret Louisa who married my great granduncle, and her parents and siblings. I'd like to know her heritage for a family history I am compiling about my great great grandparents' children.

      I have seen this Louisa Margaret name and have tried to find a sure connection. Nothing yet. I have been through the filmed records for St. Helena and have found hints at my Margaret's ancestry. I think her father Robert was born abt 1834 and that his parents were Alfred Isaac born 1814, and Margaret (Isaac) born about 1817 and died 27 Aug 1871 on Sandy Bay. Her death entry had a Robert Isaac as the informant. I make this assumption because of the "Margaret" connection and because Margaret Louisa named her first child "Alfred". Some of her siblings could be: Leah ca. 1856 (witness on marriage certificate); Saul Soloman ca. 1870; Alice ca. 1878.

      Margaret Louisa's marriage certificate in 1873 stated she was 20 years old, daughter of Robert Isaac, marrying Edward GOODSELL who was 24 years old and from England--(approximate birth year 1853). Recently when I found Margaret's death certificate in 1928, she was of the St. Helena race and born in St. Helena.  She was 74 years old--(approximate birth year 1863)--meaning she was ten years old when she got married. The same death age is on the cemetery records.

      Ten years old for marriage would seem questionable except I've been told that girls developed and married early in St. Helena. I had a foster daughter from Honduras in my home when she was nine going on ten and she could have easily passed for twice her age. So anyway or therefore, I am looking for birth records between 1853 and 1863 and a little bit more on both ends.

      Do you have any records that fit here or suggestions where I might go. I've already contacted the dioceses. I only received a brief response that they didn't find her in 1853. I am waiting to hear more from them.

      Sue

      On 7/13/06, chinookstorms <SHIPPO2@...> wrote:

      <sue.familyhistory@...> wrote:

      > I have asked before if anyone knew of Margaret Louisa ISAAC born
      about 1853.
      > I now have a birth date of 1863. She later moved to Port Elizabeth
      and
      > married Edward GOODSELL. Has anyone run across her name and birth
      in St.
      > Helena? Her father was Robert ISAAC.
      >
      > Sue

      Hello Sue,
      I have a listing on my family tree for a Louisa Margaret Isaac born
      St Helena 1821 along with all of her parentage back to 1722. It is
      interesting to note the same names in reverse order indicating that
      there may be some connection. If this is the case you are most
      welcome to contact me for further information.
      Regards. Rob Hamilton Victoria Australia.