Family Research - HARRIS, O'CONNOR, SMITH and GROVE families

  • mercon_za2001
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2004
      My ancestor's John Henry HARRIS and Eloise Grove O'CONNOR were
      married on St Helena Island on the 30 th March 1850, before coming
      out to South Africa.

      John Henry HARRIS was born on the 10th May 1826, the son of Henry
      Boyce HARRIS and a SMITH, possible Edith.

      Eloise Grove O'CONNOR was born on the 1st October 1827, the daughter
      of Mathew O'CONNOR and Ann GROVE.

      Mathew O'CONNOR was a lieutanant in the St. Helena Regimant and upon
      being invalided out, requested to be made the postmaster at Lemon
      Valley - I don't know if he got the post.

      His parents were Thomas O'CONNOR, who had been born in County
      Kerry,Ireland in about 1763 and was involved in a the brewing/baking
      company of O'Connor and Carrol. His wife was Sarah PLEDGER who had
      previously been married to a George CASH.

      Any contact with anyone having any knowledge of these families or
      their ancestors or descendants, living on the Island or not, would be
      greatly appreciated.