Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] (unknown)

  • John Coyle
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 7, 2004
      Hi Geoff, I have no idea whether there is a connection with your family, but
      in 1968 I met a young woman named Joyce Harris, a teacher on the island who
      had just come back from training in England. She would have been in her
      early twenties, I think, and lived near High Knoll.
      Strange how many Saints have connections with Portsmouth, where I grew up!
      My father's family lived in Eastney for many years, some still do, and I
      went to my first school there. I left in 1963, my family by then having
      moved closer to London, where I worked and from where I got the job which
      connected me to St. Helena.

      John Coyle
      Brisbane, Australia

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 16, 2006
        hiya Trian
        my name's Ricky Thomas was born on the island am now 40 dont know how old you are or where you are from i live here in the UK in Kent and know alot f people still on the Island dont know your grandmother but if you know of any know family member still on the Island, if you could give me a name or names i am sure i would beable to find out where your grandmother is.

        Rick

      • Nielsen-Ferreira
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 19, 2006
          Dear Ricky,
          Will you be able to tell me if there  still are
          Thomas families left on the Island?
          My great grandfather, Richard Thomas,  left
          St Helena  for South Africa. I am sure that
          some relatives remained behind and their
          offspring may still be on the Island still.
          June
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 19, 2006
            NB: This email and its contents are subject to our email legal notice
            which can be viewed at http://www.doj.gov.za/2004dojsite/ab_web/disclaimer.htm
            Good morning Ricky
            Do you know if there are any HOPKINS family residing on St Helena.

            My ggmother's cousin PHOEBE ISABELLA HOPKINS was born on the
            island abt 1898.  She arrived in SA (as a slave I believe) abt 1914 and married a
            HARWOOD abt 1924.  I would like info on her family members if possible.
            I would also like to know if I could get confirmation of her birth/baptism. She
            belonged to the Church of England in SA.  Her father arrived in St Helena from
            Wales.  No other details available.  However, someone on the island might remember
            her or be connected to her in some way.
            Any assistance at all would be most welcome.

            Regards
            Merlynn Marion
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 22, 2006
              hiya there are tons of Thomas's still on the Island one of the bigger surnames tthere to.
              There are also Thomas's form St Helena living in Cape Town.

              Where are you from and wot part of the Island did your family came from

              Rick
            • Nielsen-Ferreira
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 23, 2006
                Hi Rick
                Thanks for responding. The Richard Thomas descendants
                 are mostly living In Wellington and  Mitchells Plain.
                One group lived in Harfield Road. If family names like
                Richard, James, Susan, John Andrew, Charlotte , Robert,
                Henrietta, Annie, Louisa ring a bell to you, let me know.
                I am not sure from which part of the Island my great-grandfather
                was from. That is what I wish to find out.
                I believe there were several Thomas males in the group
                with Richard Thomas. (They may be related or not).
                June

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 24, 2006
                  Hi Rick

                  Do you know if there are/were any families with the surname DAVIDS on the island?  I am looking for any Davids who left the island between 1880-1900 to come to cape town? my grandfather thinks his grandmother's surname might have been davids - all i know is her name is Louisa and she was definitely from the island
                  thanx!
                  Crystal

                  Acesolo12@... wrote:
                  hiya there are tons of Thomas's still on the Island one of the bigger surnames tthere to.
                  There are also Thomas's form St Helena living in Cape Town.

                  Where are you from and wot part of the Island did your family came from

                  Rick

                  http://www.st-helena.org

                  Yahoo! Photos

                • Pat martindale
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 24, 2006
                    Hi all,

                    Does anyone have any information on

                    Hannah Christana Bowers m James Sim 25th December 1876

                    I do know many of the Sim family are still on the
                    Island.

                    This enquiry is for a friend who left St Helena around
                    45 years ago.

                    Thanks and best wishes Pat

                    http://mail.yahoo.com