Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Thomas Hunter

  • hcounter@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 17, 2006
      In a message dated 5/17/2006 3:07:26 AM Central Daylight Time, a6060602001@... writes:
      It was remiss of me to describe the St Helena IGI data on the Family
      search site as parish records.  To be truthful - I have admit that I
      do not knowthe origins of the primary records. I suspect that most
      of them were obtained, for religeous reasons, by representatives of
      the Mormon Church, from the Bishops Transcrips and not the  St
      Hi Brian,

      When you check the IGI, look at the bottom and it will tell you whether it is an extracted record, which would be a transcription of the parish records, or whether the info in contributed information.  In the case of the batch number you were quoting, at the bottom it stated that it was contributed information.  The batch numbers for transcribed parish records will usually start with a C for christianing and M for marriages, although other letter have also been employed.

      Remember that the info you got from that particular batch number is not primary info, but is what someone has turned into the Mormons for whatever reason, and needs to be checked for primary sources to make sure that the info is correct.  You should use it as a road map of what possible could be.

      I have a perfect example of what can happen with contributed info within our family.  Several of us have been working together for years on our family tree.  We have also been contacted by others sharing the same ancestors and have shared our info with them.  Someone, I have no idea who, turned the info into the Mormons and it appears in the IGI.  In our old info we had two men, same name, born 3 years apart, uncle and nephew, both fathers had the same name and were farmers, all lived and were born in the same town.  For several years we had the wrong man married to one woman.  Then we found the grave MIs for both and discovered our mistake, double checked the graves themselves (one cousin lives in England and could get to the cemeteries) and corrected it.  However, the info was sent to the Mormons before we discovered that error and so it shows the wrong man married and the wrong man as a batchlor.  Anyone who finds that info and uses as correct info will be perpetuating an error and incorrect info.

      Annie in Minnesota