Thomas Hunter

  • Brian Hunter
    Message 1 of 3 , May 12, 2006
      I am researching the descendents of Major General Sir Robert Hunter, (1664-1734.
      The first govenor of New York. and later Govenor of Jamaca.

      I believe that Thomas Hunter, who married Ann Leech on 18th June 1787 at St Helena, may have been a descendant. I would be interested to learn who his parents were and what was his status on St Helena.
      Their son Thomas Mongomery Hunter born, 19 Feb 1794 on St Helene, married Phoebe Elizabeth Soloman on the island bon 15th Oct 1823.

      The name Montgomery has connections with the Orby Hunter family.

      Brian Hunter

      Yahoo! 360° NEW – Your one place to blog, create, publish & share!
    • Brian Hunter
      Message 2 of 3 , May 13, 2006
        Hello Diana:

        Greetings on a  beautiful spring day, in  Lincolnshire:

        Thank you for replying to my posting.  It was a pleasure to hear of your connection with, your ancestor Ann Leech, of St Helena. ( What a co-incidence! )

        The Ann Leech  I refered to in my message was the daughter of Richard Leech and Jane Bagley. of St Helena.
         I  believe that , her husband, Thomas ( Orby) Hunter, born 1770  was the son of Sir Thomas Orby Hunter, bart.MP for Winchelsea and a Lord of the Admiralty,   but I have not found any documentary evidence to confirm this.

        Did you know that you can see the St Helena parish records on the Family Search site? Copy the following into your internet browser.

        Press return >
        Then at the bottom of  the family search form enter the Batch No.   7011904
        Select Region  Ocean Islands and Country  Atlantic Islands.
        Do not enter anything else or it will not work.
        Press return. > to see an alphabetical list of records.

        I obtained part of  the following information  in this way. Let me know if you have a problem with this.

        St Helena PR's

        Thomas Hunter ( Capt in St Helena Artillery)  marr. Ann Leech,  d/o Richard Leech and Jane Bagley,18 June 1787.
        Thomas Montgomery Hunter( Lieut St Helena Artillery)  s/o Thomas and Ann Hunter, bapt. 19 Feb 1792

        Thomas Montgomery Hunter marr. Pheobe Elizabeth Soloman, b. 20 May 1804,  d/o Saul Soloman ( 1776 - 1852)  and Margaret Lee,  on the 15 Oct 1823.

        Children born on St Helena.

        Ann Hunter b. 15 Dec 1824
        Montgomery Hunter, b. 11 Feb 1827,
        Highland Hunter (Fem) b. 27 Nov 1827
        Orby Montgomery Hunter b. 30 May 1833.( Later Lieut in Ceylon Rifles)
        Grace Hunter b 11ct 1834

        I think that most of these Hunters may have left St Helene before the 1841 census, but I cannot find where they went to.

        I do have records of Orby Hunters in Canada and the USA at a later date, but I cannot connect them with the lines which I have researched.

        Do you know if there are any burial records for St Helena, on line?
        It would help me in my search if if I could eliminate, those  Hunters who died on St Helena.  (I  do hope that does not sound too morbid.)

        I will let you know if I discover anyone connected to your Leech ancestors.

        Regards Brian Hunter

      • Brian Hunter
        Message 3 of 3 , May 17, 2006
          Hello Annie:

          Thank you for replying to my posting.

          I stand corrected. Please forgive me.

          It was remiss of me to describe the St Helena IGI data on the Family
          search site as parish records. To be truthful - I have admit that I
          do not know the origins of the primary records. I suspect that most
          of them were obtained, for religeous reasons, by representatives of
          the Mormon Church, from the Bishops Transcrips and not the St
          Helena Parish registers.

          In this instance my main intention was to pass on, to other
          researchers, a tip about the usefulness of the batch number
          facility. In the case of the St Helena data, it proved helpful to me
          use it to structure the family groupings in alphabetical order, thus
          allowing me to identify siblings whose existance and first name
          were not previously known to me.

          Personally I know that I will never be able to visit the archives to
          see the primary sources and I very much appreciate the the
          generosity of the Church of Latter Day Saints in making this data
          available to family history reserchers worldwide on microfich and on
          the family Search website.

          Brian Hunter