Re: My St Helena interests

  • londonsouthwold
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3 12:29 PM
      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "olgapurbeck"
      <olgapurbeck@...> wrote:

      > My great great grandfather, Alfred Pasley Bell was born in 1802 in
      > Bristol and joined the Hon. East India Co. and served as a
      soldier
      > in the St Helena Regiment. In 1827 he married Charlotte Eleanor
      > Wright and the couple later returned to Bristol where Alfred
      became
      > one of the first inspectors in the new City police force.
      > Charlotte (born on St Helena in 1808) and her 2 siblings were all
      > baptised at the same ceremony in 1827, which took place 2 weeks
      after
      > the burial of their father, James Wright, a native Saint and a
      > captain in the St Helena Regiment. The 3 siblings were listed in
      the
      > register as the children of James Wright and Elizabeth Price and
      were
      > described as "born illegitimate and free"
      > Can this mean that Elizabeth was an ex slave and James' concubine?
      > believe that after his death Elizabeth was supported by James'
      mother.
      > I should love to know more about Elizabeth and her life as well as
      > anything about the Wrights, the Desfountains and the Alexanders
      who
      > are also part of my early St Helena ancestry.
      > James' father was Britannicus Wright who was secretary to the
      island
      > council

      My greatGGG grandfather was JOHN ALEXANDER b 1744 StH. d 21/5/1811
      StH, who married ELIZABETH WRIGHT b 1780 StH, m 16/6/1802 StH.
      Their son JOHN BRITANNICUS ALEXANDER b 2/4/1811 StH was Capt in the
      East India Co Services. He married 7/8/1833 StH JESSY TRENT SEALE b
      1812, d 10/1/1871. I feel there must be some connection. Would
      love to know if you have any ideas. Rgds. Murlo