Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] cryswil27 - Whittaker Ancestors

  • Crystal Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 26, 2006
      Thanx - it has been frustrating for me - I don't know why my family  never kept any records - everyone knows she came from the island because she often spoke about it but no-one knows what her maiden surname was or what her parents names was.

      Violet Wagner <Wagnerv@...> wrote:
      I can't seem to reply to Crystal's message directly so I'm having to take the roundabout route.
      It is very likely that James and Louisa had a daughter named Louisa as the name has come down the generations. My grandmother, Susan van Heerden (nee Whittaker) had a sister Louisa who became a Mrs Mulligan.   My older sister's second name was Louisa, for instance, and one of my mother's sisters also had Louisa as a second name.
      However, I have not yet found the names of any of their children except my great grandfather, James Whittaker, so I can't really give you a positive answer.
      Vi Wagner

      V L Wagner

    • violet4597
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 30, 2006
        If only they knew we would be looking for them so many years later! I
        often ask myself why I wasn't more inquisitive as a child. Should
        have asked more questions.

        I suppose you've looked at the usual sources such as Church Records,
        civil registers of Births, Deaths and Marriages, newspapers etc. I
        have a good start on 4 of my 8 great grandparents using conventional
        sources.

        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Crystal Williams