Re: Whittaker and Wright Ancestors

  • violet4597
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 25 11:39 AM
      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "a.dunn7" <a.dunn7@...>
      wrote:

      > I am new here but i noticed you are looking for the wright family i
      > have spoken to my mum and she cannot remember there being a lot of
      > wright familys on the island my nan was 18 when she married in 1906
      her
      > name was emma wright and she had at least 4 sisters we know there was
      > harriet, eliza,and isabella her parents were john and elizabeth
      wright
      > maybe there is a connection somewhere if i find out more i will let
      you
      > know

      Thanks.

      I've been to the British Library today and found the marriage in 1831
      again, but also the birth of a son called George on 15th February 1834.
      And the marriage entry notes a George Whitaker as the witness. At that
      time there were quite a few Wrights in the Parish Register but no other
      Whit(t)akers.

      My James and Louisa were already in the Eastern Cape in the 1890s. I'm
      not sure if they came there directly or from another part of South
      Africa as there's a big gap between the marriage and their appearance
      in the Tarkastad archives.

      Vi