Re: Whittaker and Wright Ancestors

  • a.dunn7
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 25, 2006
      I am new here but i noticed you are looking for the wright family i
      have spoken to my mum and she cannot remember there being a lot of
      wright familys on the island my nan was 18 when she married in 1906 her
      name was emma wright and she had at least 4 sisters we know there was
      harriet, eliza,and isabella her parents were john and elizabeth wright
      maybe there is a connection somewhere if i find out more i will let you
      know
    • violet4597
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 25, 2006
        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "a.dunn7" <a.dunn7@...>
        wrote:

        > I am new here but i noticed you are looking for the wright family i
        > have spoken to my mum and she cannot remember there being a lot of
        > wright familys on the island my nan was 18 when she married in 1906
        her
        > name was emma wright and she had at least 4 sisters we know there was
        > harriet, eliza,and isabella her parents were john and elizabeth
        wright
        > maybe there is a connection somewhere if i find out more i will let
        you
        > know

        Thanks.

        I've been to the British Library today and found the marriage in 1831
        again, but also the birth of a son called George on 15th February 1834.
        And the marriage entry notes a George Whitaker as the witness. At that
        time there were quite a few Wrights in the Parish Register but no other
        Whit(t)akers.

        My James and Louisa were already in the Eastern Cape in the 1890s. I'm
        not sure if they came there directly or from another part of South
        Africa as there's a big gap between the marriage and their appearance
        in the Tarkastad archives.

        Vi