Sampson family & descendants

  • nettie1lottie
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2006
      My great great great grandfather Charles Joseph Sampson went to St
      Helena with the Honourable East India Company's Light Foot Infantry
      in 1795. He married Mary Bagley on the island in 1799. They had 10
      children –John (my great great grandfather), Charles Joseph, William
      Patrick, James George, Mary, Mary Anne, Elizabeth, Henry Macintosh,
      and Margaret Sampson.

      John Sampson married Anne Jane Leech, and their children were
      Huddart Henry, Julia Elizabeth, James Brodie, Adelaide Ann, Edward
      William, Andrew Eyre (my great grandfather), and Maria Nicholson
      Sampson. The family originally lived at West Lodge (now ruins I
      understand) and later at Longwood and Thomson's Wood.

      Around 1860 my great great grandfather's family left St Helena for
      Capetown. From there my great grandfather Andrew Eyre (and his
      brother Huddart Henry) went to New Zealand, where I live. Others in
      the family remained in Capetown.

      As far as I know there are no Sampsons still living in St Helena but
      they married into other families who may still be there: William
      Patrick Sampson married Elizabeth Charlotte Bazett Knipe, Elizabeth
      Sampson married Henry Doveton, & Margaret married Major Blenkins. St
      Helena family names have appeared in a couple of subsequent
      generations of NZ Sampsons: My great grandfather was Andrew Eyre
      Samson and my grandfather was Andrew Des Fountain Sampson.

      My husband and I are visiting St Helena in June 2006, and we plan to
      look at the archives there and also, if possible, explore where the
      family lived. We would also be interested in meeting any Saints
      related to the Sampsons. We are both retired Kiwis and will be
      staying at Harris bed and breakfast in Jamestown.
      Diana Baker