Devlins and Clingan / Clairmont around 1856

  • ffcuk1
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2006
      Hi,

      I have ancestors who were married on Saint Helena (Henry Devlin (born
      Ireland) and Catherine Clirmon/Clingen/Clinning (born on Saint
      Helena) on 2nd August 1856. They had a daughter Catherine Devlin born
      in Saint Helena on 14 May 1863 and registered in the Catholic Church.

      Does anyone know of any Devlins or Clirmon/Clingen/Clinnings on Saint
      Helena around this timeline?

      Many Thanks
    • LLOYD SCOTT
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2006
        They might have left the island in later years as their was a large Clingham family in Mossel Bay South Africa. All New Apostolics by the way.

        Lloyd Scott
        Scotland

      • FFCUK@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
          Thanks for the info.Its been difficult as there have been many diffrent name spellings emerging. Clingham is another one.

          F Craig
        • Clifford Masters
          Message 4 of 6 , May 23, 2006
            Hi LLoyd
                          My wife was a Clingham, She left St.Helena in 1961, Her mother died just over a year ago,  Her Sister Rosie is still on St.Helena.
            Regards
            Clifford Masters
            sthelena.postcards@...

            Message 5 of 6 , May 25, 2006
              Hi Clifford,

              The Clingans/Clinghams are probably the same family. In those days (pre 19th Century), very few people could write and spellings were often flawed and done phonetically so changed at just about every life event. Does Rosie have an E-mail address that I can use to contact her? She may be able to help me link my "Clingan"-derived family to the Clinghams.

              Many Thanks

              Dr Frank F Craig

[...]

              http://www.st-helena.org

              United kingdom calling cardCalling united kingdomUnited kingdom flower delivery
              Call united kingdomUnited kingdom floristUnited kingdom phone card

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            • Clifford Masters