John Thomas Gamble

  • gamblegenes
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 23, 2004
      Could anyone help me please. My great great grandfather John Thomas
      GAMBLE was born on St Helena on 13 Dec 1817. He became a merchant
      seaman and married Helen HOWLETT on the Channel Island of Guernsey on
      26 May 1853. He stated his father's name was John. His wife was the
      informant on his death certificate 2 Oct 1885 and said his parents
      were Thomas Gamble, soldier, and Mary HOUNDSWORTH. Is there any way
      I can find out more about the parents and also if John Thomas Gamble
      had any siblings. Thank you
      Esther Dean
    • gamblegenes
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 19, 2004
        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "gamblegenes"
        <gamblegenes@y...> wrote:
        > Could anyone help me please. My great great grandfather John
        Thomas
        > GAMBLE was born on St Helena on 13 Dec 1817. He became a merchant
        > seaman and married Helen HOWLETT on the Channel Island of Guernsey
        on
        > 26 May 1853. He stated his father's name was John. His wife was
        the
        > informant on his death certificate 2 Oct 1885 and said his parents
        > were Thomas Gamble, soldier, and Mary HOUNDSWORTH. Is there any
        way
        > I can find out more about the parents and also if John Thomas
        Gamble
        > had any siblings. Thank you
        > Esther Dean

        Further to this message I have now found the baptism of John Thomas
        Gamble in 1818 (LDS film 0498605). The entry reads "John Thomas son
        of John Gamble and Mary Houndsworth/free/illegte".

        Can someone please tell me if the word "free" refers to the mother
        Mary or child John Thomas. If it refers to John Thomas does this
        mean that his mother Mary was a slave???

        Thank you
        Esther