Re: saint helena regiment

  • Alan Brigham
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 14, 2005
      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "fitter_highvolta"
      <kenith@f...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      > I am seeking any information on the St Helena regiment of
      1840.
      > I am looking for when they were formed , where they were formed , if
      > they were disbanded and where they were stationed on St Helena. The
      > information on the web seems to be non existent.
      > Thanks
      > Ken.

      Lack of information on the web means that it needs someone like you to
      put it there!

      The best information source I have found is the Latter Day Saints.
      Visit your local LDS research centre and they will order the relevant
      fils from their archives. They are very chap, around £2.75 (UKP) per
      film - and will help you find what you seek. I am a regular user of
      their services (but I am not a member of the LDS - just in case you
      thought that this is turning into a party-political broadcast).

      For the St Helena Regiment, order the index(s) as well as the reels
      containing the actual photographs of the original documents. In
      several cases we obtained from one film that which was 'obscured' on
      the other. I also take my digital camera with me and photographs the
      images directly off the film reader. So much cheaper than a photocopy
      at 20p a throw!