Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] saint helena regiment

  • petercluer2004@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
      The 3rd Battalion Royal Artillery were on the island between 1836 & 1845.My gg grandfather was originally in the St.Helena Artillery from 1828 to 1836 which was part of the East India Company.The Crown took over the island in 1836 and he attested for the Royal Artillery when they landed on the island to take over from the East India Company.I hope this helps.Peter
    • Alan Brigham
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 14, 2005
        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "fitter_highvolta"
        <kenith@f...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        > I am seeking any information on the St Helena regiment of
        1840.
        > I am looking for when they were formed , where they were formed , if
        > they were disbanded and where they were stationed on St Helena. The
        > information on the web seems to be non existent.
        > Thanks
        > Ken.

        Lack of information on the web means that it needs someone like you to
        put it there!

        The best information source I have found is the Latter Day Saints.
        Visit your local LDS research centre and they will order the relevant
        fils from their archives. They are very chap, around £2.75 (UKP) per
        film - and will help you find what you seek. I am a regular user of
        their services (but I am not a member of the LDS - just in case you
        thought that this is turning into a party-political broadcast).

        For the St Helena Regiment, order the index(s) as well as the reels
        containing the actual photographs of the original documents. In
        several cases we obtained from one film that which was 'obscured' on
        the other. I also take my digital camera with me and photographs the
        images directly off the film reader. So much cheaper than a photocopy
        at 20p a throw!