Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] saint helena regiment

  • Wendy Phillips
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2005
      I to am also looking for the St Helena Regiment.  My Gt Gt. Grandfather  Charles Grant was a sergent with the regiment and went to St Helena in 1842.  I understand they may have originated from Winchester?  Can anyone help..

      Wendy Grant

      fitter_highvolta <kenith@...> wrote:
      Hello all,
             I am seeking any information on the St Helena regiment of 1840.
      I am looking for when they were formed , where they were formed , if
      they were disbanded and where they were stationed on St Helena. The
      information on the web seems to be non existent.
                            Thanks
                                 Ken.

      Yahoo! Model Search - Could you be the next catwalk superstar? Check out the competition now

    • petercluer2004@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
        The 3rd Battalion Royal Artillery were on the island between 1836 & 1845.My gg grandfather was originally in the St.Helena Artillery from 1828 to 1836 which was part of the East India Company.The Crown took over the island in 1836 and he attested for the Royal Artillery when they landed on the island to take over from the East India Company.I hope this helps.Peter
      • kerry reed
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
          i do know a john reed but he ant that old soz babe his bout 14

          Wendy Phillips <wendyphllps@...> wrote:
          I to am also looking for the St Helena Regiment.  My Gt Gt. Grandfather  Charles Grant was a sergent with the regiment and went to St Helena in 1842.  I understand they may have originated from Winchester?  Can anyone help..

          Wendy Grant

          fitter_highvolta <kenith@...> wrote:
          Hello all,
                 I am seeking any information on the St Helena regiment of 1840.
          I am looking for when they were formed , where they were formed , if
          they were disbanded and where they were stationed on St Helena. The
          information on the web seems to be non existent.
                                Thanks
                                     Ken.

          Yahoo! Model Search - Could you be the next catwalk superstar? Check out the competition now

          Win a Yahoo! Vespa NEW - Yahoo! Cars has 3 Vespa LX125s to be won Enter Now!

        • Alan Brigham
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 14, 2005
            --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "fitter_highvolta"
            <kenith@f...> wrote:

            > Hello all,
            > I am seeking any information on the St Helena regiment of
            1840.
            > I am looking for when they were formed , where they were formed , if
            > they were disbanded and where they were stationed on St Helena. The
            > information on the web seems to be non existent.
            > Thanks
            > Ken.

            Lack of information on the web means that it needs someone like you to
            put it there!

            The best information source I have found is the Latter Day Saints.
            Visit your local LDS research centre and they will order the relevant
            fils from their archives. They are very chap, around £2.75 (UKP) per
            film - and will help you find what you seek. I am a regular user of
            their services (but I am not a member of the LDS - just in case you
            thought that this is turning into a party-political broadcast).

            For the St Helena Regiment, order the index(s) as well as the reels
            containing the actual photographs of the original documents. In
            several cases we obtained from one film that which was 'obscured' on
            the other. I also take my digital camera with me and photographs the
            images directly off the film reader. So much cheaper than a photocopy
            at 20p a throw!