Ketchum-Payne-Forbes Search: Sarah "Grove"?

  • maizenblue6983
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2005
      My name is Aaron and I am from Battle Creek Michigan. My aunt
      recently passed away and left me in charge of our family history. As
      I am learning the genealogical aspect of this task can be herculean,
      to say the least! My first major obstacle has presented itself as
      the island of St. Helena, where my paternal grandmother's great
      grandmother was born. My information is sketchy and pieced together
      primarily from letters I've found that are themselves quite dated.
      If anyone recognizes anything in the information, I would greatly
      appreciate any help.

      Sarah Jane "Grove" (pronounced groovay [french])

      Born June 11th, 1817 on the island of St Helena

      Her mother may have died during child birth

      Sent to New York/Vermont area at the age of 13 to live with a
      governor who squandered her funds and died, perhaps by suicide. His
      name may have been Grove, or that may have been her paternal birth
      name.

      A man named Ketchum took pity on her and cared for her. He may have
      legally adopted her, but what is certain is that she took the name
      Ketchum.

      She married: Charles Allen Feb 22, 1837
      Born 2-16-1808
      Died 8-26-1840 MI (MI I assume)

      Then she married: Jonathan Payne Oct 11, 1841
      Born 8-25-1803
      Died 3-20-1894 Michigan? Have not found Death record.

      She died 4-30-1889 Michigan? NY? Have not found Death record.

      No matter how obscure, I can use the help! In turn, I will share
      anything I might know about your searches. Thank you for your time.