Thomas family c1845

  • dngskll
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2005
      I recently visited St Helena with the intention of researching my
      family tree. I was offered so much help and everyone was so kind,
      firstly let me say a huge thank you to everyone I met.
      Unfortunately, despite being able to go back from my Great
      Grandmother Henrietta Thomas, another 2 generations, I could not
      conclusively find any descendants in the archives from the 6
      siblings who lived and died on the island. At the risk of boring
      anyone but to save my sanity, as this is now getting to be an
      obsession, I am listing what I know and would love any information
      from anyone however tenuous the connection.

      Henry Phillip b c1800 d 1879 married Diana(h) Johns b c1800 d 1866.
      Children: Martha Louisa b 1823, Henry John b1824, Ann Maria b 1820 d
      1900

      Ann Maria Phillip m Evan Thomas (a carpenter) b c1822 d 1888
      Children: William James b 1845 d ?, Henry Evan b 1846 d 1869,
      Henrietta Louisa b 1848 went to England (my Great Grandmother),
      Maria Ann b 1850 d 1900, Owen John b 1852 d? (fairly certain left
      island and had family elsewhere),Martha Jemima b 1853 d 1898, Julia
      Ann b 1855 d 1942, Frederick Charles b 1857 d 1900, Archibald James
      b 1860 d 1884, Edward Percy b 1862 d?.
      Any deaths shown as ? could not be found in the archives so it's
      possible that they left the island.

      I am fairly certain that Evan, who married Ann Maria, had a brother
      Owen who married Sarah Gentry. Children: Martha Ann Rebecca b1849,
      Richard William b 1851, Elizabeth Mary b 1856, Louisa Ann Maria b
      1861.

      I have a letter dated 1883 from Jemima Thomas, Market St, Jamestown,
      to my Great grandmother Henrietta (in England) mentioning Archibald,
      Owen (from whom she has received a letter so I assume is living
      away), Maria, Julia, Frederick and both her parents. She also
      mentions a Mrs Billy Phillips, Mrs Bee Thompson, Aunty (possibly
      meaning Sarah Gentry) and Minnie (no idea who this is).

      I cannot believe that of the 10 children, 6 of which lived and died
      on the island, that there are no descendants, except those that I
      have traced in England.

      Please can anyone shed more light on this family. I have spent many
      hourson the research and have now come to a complete halt.