Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Knipe families - Rebecca md. Paynter

  • Christine Adams
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 16 11:49 AM
      Dear Tracy-
      If your Rebecca is indeed the one mentioned in Snell's book, and I believe
      she is - then it appears that the original Knipe on St. Helena was from
      England, and it is highly unlikely that he was not Caucasian. He speaks of
      his mother Anne, "in England," and is clearly literate, with English being
      his primary language. The East India Company governed the Island with very
      different rules for whites and persons of color in those days - and the
      first few generations of Knipes on the Island would not have been found in
      the consultations and holding the minor positions of responsibility that
      they did, had they been persons of color.
      That being said, probably partially because of its small size and remote
      location, the succeeding generations of "Saints" are more and more a product
      of inter-cultural or inter-racial marriages and extramarital liaisons. I
      can't remember the source, but one of the reference materials I read about
      St. Helena maintains that there is not an Island native today who could
      claim "pure" blood of any race.
      So, it is very possible that somewhere in the Knipe or Paynter background
      there are ancestors who were dark-skinned - but it seems unlikely in
      Rebecca's case, since Snell has researched that line pretty extensively, and
      the principals seem to be Anglo-Saxon.
      Certainly, it seems genetically unlikely that Rebecca was "dark-skinned"
      enough to be taken for African.
      I am unaware of any pictures of her or her family.
      Wishing you success in your new field of research-
      Christine

    • kevinsykes1979
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2013

        Hi Christine

        I would be grateful if you could please provide me with a contact to purchase a copy of Glennis Snell's research publication on the Knipe family of St Helena.

        Best wishes,

        Kevin Sykes

      • abby52young
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 24, 2014

          Oh how exciting! I have thinking aobut Glennis Snell lately. She was a great lady who mentioned I believe a Caroline Euley that was married to relative of hers... I would also like to know the same information. Thanks You!!