Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Paynter and Knipe families

  • Tracey Bradley
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 11, 2005
      Dear Christine,

      Thankyou very much for this information. I will contact Glennis Snell regarding this book. I look forward to reading this. I am fascinated with this family history that we have recently learned about due the fact that my Great, Great Grandfather came to Australia with no paperwork and spoke no english.
      Can you shine any light on the nationality of Rebecca or her mother. We believe that they were African with dark skin? Is this correct? Would love to know about their heritage.
      Again thankyou for your help it is very much appreciated. Look forward to talking to you some more.
      Regards, Tracey Bradley.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 16, 2005
        Dear Tracy-
        If your Rebecca is indeed the one mentioned in Snell's book, and I believe
        she is - then it appears that the original Knipe on St. Helena was from
        England, and it is highly unlikely that he was not Caucasian. He speaks of
        his mother Anne, "in England," and is clearly literate, with English being
        his primary language. The East India Company governed the Island with very
        different rules for whites and persons of color in those days - and the
        first few generations of Knipes on the Island would not have been found in
        the consultations and holding the minor positions of responsibility that
        they did, had they been persons of color.
        That being said, probably partially because of its small size and remote
        location, the succeeding generations of "Saints" are more and more a product
        of inter-cultural or inter-racial marriages and extramarital liaisons. I
        can't remember the source, but one of the reference materials I read about
        St. Helena maintains that there is not an Island native today who could
        claim "pure" blood of any race.
        So, it is very possible that somewhere in the Knipe or Paynter background
        there are ancestors who were dark-skinned - but it seems unlikely in
        Rebecca's case, since Snell has researched that line pretty extensively, and
        the principals seem to be Anglo-Saxon.
        Certainly, it seems genetically unlikely that Rebecca was "dark-skinned"
        enough to be taken for African.
        I am unaware of any pictures of her or her family.
        Wishing you success in your new field of research-
        Christine

      • kevinsykes1979
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2013

          Hi Christine

          I would be grateful if you could please provide me with a contact to purchase a copy of Glennis Snell's research publication on the Knipe family of St Helena.

          Best wishes,

          Kevin Sykes

        • abby52young
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 24, 2014

            Oh how exciting! I have thinking aobut Glennis Snell lately. She was a great lady who mentioned I believe a Caroline Euley that was married to relative of hers... I would also like to know the same information. Thanks You!!