RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Paynter and Knipe families

  • Christine Adams
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 10, 2005
      Glennis Snell has recently published a very extensive and documented history
      of the Knipe Family of St. Helena. She may still have some copies for sale.
      She can be reached at glennis@... . I checked my copy of her book, and
      see that she mentions a Rebecca Julia Knipe, b. 15 Sep 1861. She does not
      give any information about the marriage of this women, but does provide
      documented lineage for her back 6 generations. [You and I share the first 3
      of those.]
      Since I collaborated with her on a small bit of the research into those 6
      generations, I can tell you that the published information represents hours
      and hours of research,and access to ecclesiastical records [in South Africa]
      that are not easily accessed outside of that place and St. Helena itself.
      I highly recommend it.
      Christine Adams

      >From: "traceytraceyann" <kevandtracey@...>
      >To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Paynter and Knipe families
      >Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 05:22:57 -0000
      >
      >Looking for any infarmation on James Paynter who was married to
      >Rebecca Knipe born around 1860? on St Helena. They had 4 children 2
      >boys - Richard James Paynter born 1889 and another son name unknown,
      >and 2 daughters - names unknown. All 4 children were born on St
      >Helena. Looking for information on the Knipe family heratige. We know
      >that James Paynter was English and was not born on St Helena. Any
      >information would be appreciated.

    • Tracey Bradley
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 11, 2005
        Dear Christine,

        Thankyou very much for this information. I will contact Glennis Snell regarding this book. I look forward to reading this. I am fascinated with this family history that we have recently learned about due the fact that my Great, Great Grandfather came to Australia with no paperwork and spoke no english.
        Can you shine any light on the nationality of Rebecca or her mother. We believe that they were African with dark skin? Is this correct? Would love to know about their heritage.
        Again thankyou for your help it is very much appreciated. Look forward to talking to you some more.
        Regards, Tracey Bradley.
        Glennis Snell has recently published a very extensive and documented history
        of the Knipe Family of St. Helena. She may still have some copies for sale.
        She can be reached at glennis@... . I checked my copy of her book, and
        see that she mentions a Rebecca Julia Knipe, b. 15 Sep 1861. She does not
        give any information about the marriage of this women, but does provide
        documented lineage for her back 6 generations. [You and I share the first 3
        of those.]
        Since I collaborated with her on a small bit of the research into those 6
        generations, I can tell you that the published information represents hours
        and hours of research,and access to ecclesiastical records [in South Africa]
        that are not easily accessed outside of that place and St. Helena itself.
        I highly recommend it.
        Christine Adams

        >From: "traceytraceyann" <kevandtracey@...>
        >To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Paynter and Knipe families
        >Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 05:22:57 -0000
        >
        >Looking for any infarmation on James Paynter who was married to
        >Rebecca Knipe born around 1860? on St Helena. They had 4 children 2
        >boys - Richard James Paynter born 1889 and another son name unknown,
        >and 2 daughters - names unknown. All 4 children were born on St
        >Helena. Looking for information on the Knipe family heratige. We know
        >that James Paynter was English and was not born on St Helena. Any
        >information would be appreciated.

        http://www.st-helena.org

      • Christine Adams
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 16, 2005
          Dear Tracy-
          If your Rebecca is indeed the one mentioned in Snell's book, and I believe
          she is - then it appears that the original Knipe on St. Helena was from
          England, and it is highly unlikely that he was not Caucasian. He speaks of
          his mother Anne, "in England," and is clearly literate, with English being
          his primary language. The East India Company governed the Island with very
          different rules for whites and persons of color in those days - and the
          first few generations of Knipes on the Island would not have been found in
          the consultations and holding the minor positions of responsibility that
          they did, had they been persons of color.
          That being said, probably partially because of its small size and remote
          location, the succeeding generations of "Saints" are more and more a product
          of inter-cultural or inter-racial marriages and extramarital liaisons. I
          can't remember the source, but one of the reference materials I read about
          St. Helena maintains that there is not an Island native today who could
          claim "pure" blood of any race.
          So, it is very possible that somewhere in the Knipe or Paynter background
          there are ancestors who were dark-skinned - but it seems unlikely in
          Rebecca's case, since Snell has researched that line pretty extensively, and
          the principals seem to be Anglo-Saxon.
          Certainly, it seems genetically unlikely that Rebecca was "dark-skinned"
          enough to be taken for African.
          I am unaware of any pictures of her or her family.
          Wishing you success in your new field of research-
          Christine

        • kevinsykes1979
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2013

            Hi Christine

            I would be grateful if you could please provide me with a contact to purchase a copy of Glennis Snell's research publication on the Knipe family of St Helena.

            Best wishes,

            Kevin Sykes

          • abby52young
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 24, 2014

              Oh how exciting! I have thinking aobut Glennis Snell lately. She was a great lady who mentioned I believe a Caroline Euley that was married to relative of hers... I would also like to know the same information. Thanks You!!