Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Alexander family

  • Crystal Williams
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 8, 2005
      There was Alexanders that lived in Bo-Kaap, Cape Town - they moved there from St Helena Island - I think around 1872 or after that.  They were very dark complexions with sleek black hair - is your family dark? My great-grandmother was an Alexander from Bo-Kaap - her name was Minnie Alexander-not sure of her correct first name-but if it is that Alexanders then I know some more family of theirs. She  (Minnie) married John Solomons whose parents also come from the island.

      Angela Booth <akrb@...> wrote:

      Hello there

      I am trying to trace any connection to Scott Dreyer ALEXANDER born c 1848 St Helena . He m Alice Elizabeth SPENCER in London in 1870. They had two children – Charles S and Percival W also born on St Helena . I believe that it is possible that the family emigrated to South Africa .

      Any ideas or suggestions welcome

      Angela Booth

      Sydney, NSW

      http://www.st-helena.org

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • joan
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 10, 2005
        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, caroline timm
        <carolinetimm2@y...> wrote:
        > thanks Caroline,
        looking forward to future communication.
        Regards, Joan

        > I will forward your e-mail to the Jansen I know, he is married to
        my cousin and is currently living in Spain but I know that the rest
        of his family, mother, father. brothers, sisters are all in South
        Africa, so I will forward this to him and ask him to get in touch
        with you soonest.

        genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "joan" <joandesilva@s...>
        > wrote:
        > > ?left for the cape early 1900's. mother Cornelia, children (14),
        my
        > > father-james Bartholomew
        >
        > hi Caroline,
        > I am a South african living abroad and have been unable to trace
        this
        > information through my Jansen family in Cape Town. Your info will
        be
        > much appreciated.
        > Regards,
        > Joan

        > For information on St Helena family history see
        > http://website.lineone.net/~sthelena/familyhistory.htm
        >
        > For the St Helena Institute's homepage see
        > http://www.st-helena.org

        > Flower united kingdom Call united kingdom St helena Family
        histories Ascension island

        Service.

        > Yahoo! Sports
      • Angela Booth
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 11, 2005

          Thanks for your reply, Crystal . The only other information I know for sure is that Alice was in England in 1891 with her two boys, but without her husband. She was still described as married, so I am, at this stage, assuming that he was still alive – possibly in S. Africa .  Percival was still there at the time of the 1901 census, but can’t find any of the others. Alice SPENCER’s brother went to S Africa (with Rhodes, according to family lore) and family lore also has it that Alice and her family followed.

          I would be most interested in anything you are happy to share, as I don’t have anything else to go on at this stage.

          Angela