Alexander family

  • Angela Booth
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6, 2005

      Hello there

      I am trying to trace any connection to Scott Dreyer ALEXANDER born c 1848 St Helena . He m Alice Elizabeth SPENCER in London in 1870. They had two children – Charles S and Percival W also born on St Helena . I believe that it is possible that the family emigrated to South Africa .

      Any ideas or suggestions welcome

      Angela Booth

      Sydney, NSW

    • Crystal Williams
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 8, 2005
        There was Alexanders that lived in Bo-Kaap, Cape Town - they moved there from St Helena Island - I think around 1872 or after that.  They were very dark complexions with sleek black hair - is your family dark? My great-grandmother was an Alexander from Bo-Kaap - her name was Minnie Alexander-not sure of her correct first name-but if it is that Alexanders then I know some more family of theirs. She  (Minnie) married John Solomons whose parents also come from the island.

        Angela Booth <akrb@...> wrote:

        Hello there

        I am trying to trace any connection to Scott Dreyer ALEXANDER born c 1848 St Helena . He m Alice Elizabeth SPENCER in London in 1870. They had two children – Charles S and Percival W also born on St Helena . I believe that it is possible that the family emigrated to South Africa .

        Any ideas or suggestions welcome

        Angela Booth

        Sydney, NSW

        http://www.st-helena.org

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • joan
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 10, 2005
          --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, caroline timm
          <carolinetimm2@y...> wrote:
          > thanks Caroline,
          looking forward to future communication.
          Regards, Joan

          > I will forward your e-mail to the Jansen I know, he is married to
          my cousin and is currently living in Spain but I know that the rest
          of his family, mother, father. brothers, sisters are all in South
          Africa, so I will forward this to him and ask him to get in touch
          with you soonest.

          genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "joan" <joandesilva@s...>
          > wrote:
          > > ?left for the cape early 1900's. mother Cornelia, children (14),
          my
          > > father-james Bartholomew
          >
          > hi Caroline,
          > I am a South african living abroad and have been unable to trace
          this
          > information through my Jansen family in Cape Town. Your info will
          be
          > much appreciated.
          > Regards,
          > Joan

          > For information on St Helena family history see
          > http://website.lineone.net/~sthelena/familyhistory.htm
          >
          > For the St Helena Institute's homepage see
          > http://www.st-helena.org

          > Flower united kingdom Call united kingdom St helena Family
          histories Ascension island

          Service.

          > Yahoo! Sports
        • Angela Booth
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 11, 2005

            Thanks for your reply, Crystal . The only other information I know for sure is that Alice was in England in 1891 with her two boys, but without her husband. She was still described as married, so I am, at this stage, assuming that he was still alive – possibly in S. Africa .  Percival was still there at the time of the 1901 census, but can’t find any of the others. Alice SPENCER’s brother went to S Africa (with Rhodes, according to family lore) and family lore also has it that Alice and her family followed.

            I would be most interested in anything you are happy to share, as I don’t have anything else to go on at this stage.

            Angela