Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re:Jan(s)sen family

  • caroline timm
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5, 2005

      I will forward your e-mail to the Jansen I know, he is married to my cousin and is currently living in Spain but I know that the rest of his family, mother, father. brothers, sisters are all in South Africa, so I will forward this to him and ask him to get in touch with you soonest.

      All the best

      Caroline

      joan <joandesilva@...> wrote:
      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "joan" <joandesilva@s...>
      wrote:
      > ?left for the cape early 1900's. mother Cornelia, children (14), my
      > father-james Bartholomew

      hi Caroline,
      I am a South african living abroad and have been unable to trace this
      information through my Jansen family in Cape Town. Your info will be
      much appreciated.
      Regards,
      Joan

      http://www.st-helena.org

      Flower united kingdomCall united kingdomSt helena
      Family historiesAscension island

      Yahoo! Sports

    • Angela Booth
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6, 2005

        Hello there

        I am trying to trace any connection to Scott Dreyer ALEXANDER born c 1848 St Helena . He m Alice Elizabeth SPENCER in London in 1870. They had two children – Charles S and Percival W also born on St Helena . I believe that it is possible that the family emigrated to South Africa .

        Any ideas or suggestions welcome

        Angela Booth

        Sydney, NSW

      • Crystal Williams
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 8, 2005
          There was Alexanders that lived in Bo-Kaap, Cape Town - they moved there from St Helena Island - I think around 1872 or after that.  They were very dark complexions with sleek black hair - is your family dark? My great-grandmother was an Alexander from Bo-Kaap - her name was Minnie Alexander-not sure of her correct first name-but if it is that Alexanders then I know some more family of theirs. She  (Minnie) married John Solomons whose parents also come from the island.

          Angela Booth <akrb@...> wrote:

          Hello there

          I am trying to trace any connection to Scott Dreyer ALEXANDER born c 1848 St Helena . He m Alice Elizabeth SPENCER in London in 1870. They had two children – Charles S and Percival W also born on St Helena . I believe that it is possible that the family emigrated to South Africa .

          Any ideas or suggestions welcome

          Angela Booth

          Sydney, NSW

          http://www.st-helena.org

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • joan
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 10, 2005
            --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, caroline timm
            <carolinetimm2@y...> wrote:
            > thanks Caroline,
            looking forward to future communication.
            Regards, Joan

            > I will forward your e-mail to the Jansen I know, he is married to
            my cousin and is currently living in Spain but I know that the rest
            of his family, mother, father. brothers, sisters are all in South
            Africa, so I will forward this to him and ask him to get in touch
            with you soonest.

            > All the best
            >
            > Caroline
            >

            > joan <joandesilva@s...> wrote: --- In st-helena-
            genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "joan" <joandesilva@s...>
            > wrote:
            > > ?left for the cape early 1900's. mother Cornelia, children (14),
            my
            > > father-james Bartholomew
            >
            > hi Caroline,
            > I am a South african living abroad and have been unable to trace
            this
            > information through my Jansen family in Cape Town. Your info will
            be
            > much appreciated.
            > Regards,
            > Joan

            > For information on St Helena family history see
            > http://website.lineone.net/~sthelena/familyhistory.htm
            >
            > For the St Helena Institute's homepage see
            > http://www.st-helena.org

            > Flower united kingdom Call united kingdom St helena Family
            histories Ascension island

            Service.

            > Yahoo! Sports
          • Angela Booth
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 11, 2005

              Thanks for your reply, Crystal . The only other information I know for sure is that Alice was in England in 1891 with her two boys, but without her husband. She was still described as married, so I am, at this stage, assuming that he was still alive – possibly in S. Africa .  Percival was still there at the time of the 1901 census, but can’t find any of the others. Alice SPENCER’s brother went to S Africa (with Rhodes, according to family lore) and family lore also has it that Alice and her family followed.

              I would be most interested in anything you are happy to share, as I don’t have anything else to go on at this stage.

              Angela