Re:Jan(s)sen family

  • joan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2005
      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "joan" <joandesilva@s...>
      wrote:
      > ?left for the cape early 1900's. mother Cornelia, children (14), my
      > father-james Bartholomew

      hi Caroline,
      I am a South african living abroad and have been unable to trace this
      information through my Jansen family in Cape Town. Your info will be
      much appreciated.
      Regards,
      Joan
    • caroline timm
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 5, 2005

        I will forward your e-mail to the Jansen I know, he is married to my cousin and is currently living in Spain but I know that the rest of his family, mother, father. brothers, sisters are all in South Africa, so I will forward this to him and ask him to get in touch with you soonest.

        All the best

        Caroline

        wrote:
        > ?left for the cape early 1900's. mother Cornelia, children (14), my
        > father-james Bartholomew

        hi Caroline,
        I am a South african living abroad and have been unable to trace this
        information through my Jansen family in Cape Town. Your info will be
        much appreciated.
        Regards,
        Joan

        http://www.st-helena.org

        Flower united kingdomCall united kingdomSt helena
        Family historiesAscension island

        Yahoo! Sports

      • Angela Booth
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6, 2005

          Hello there

          I am trying to trace any connection to Scott Dreyer ALEXANDER born c 1848 St Helena . He m Alice Elizabeth SPENCER in London in 1870. They had two children – Charles S and Percival W also born on St Helena . I believe that it is possible that the family emigrated to South Africa .

          Any ideas or suggestions welcome

          Angela Booth

          Sydney, NSW

        • Crystal Williams
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 8, 2005
            There was Alexanders that lived in Bo-Kaap, Cape Town - they moved there from St Helena Island - I think around 1872 or after that.  They were very dark complexions with sleek black hair - is your family dark? My great-grandmother was an Alexander from Bo-Kaap - her name was Minnie Alexander-not sure of her correct first name-but if it is that Alexanders then I know some more family of theirs. She  (Minnie) married John Solomons whose parents also come from the island.

            Angela Booth <akrb@...> wrote:

            Hello there

            I am trying to trace any connection to Scott Dreyer ALEXANDER born c 1848 St Helena . He m Alice Elizabeth SPENCER in London in 1870. They had two children – Charles S and Percival W also born on St Helena . I believe that it is possible that the family emigrated to South Africa .

            Any ideas or suggestions welcome

            Angela Booth

            Sydney, NSW

            http://www.st-helena.org

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • joan
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 10, 2005
              --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, caroline timm
              <carolinetimm2@y...> wrote:
              > thanks Caroline,
              looking forward to future communication.
              Regards, Joan

              > I will forward your e-mail to the Jansen I know, he is married to
              my cousin and is currently living in Spain but I know that the rest
              of his family, mother, father. brothers, sisters are all in South
              Africa, so I will forward this to him and ask him to get in touch
              with you soonest.

              > All the best
              >
              > Caroline
              >

              > joan <joandesilva@s...> wrote: --- In st-helena-
              genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "joan" <joandesilva@s...>
              > wrote:
              > > ?left for the cape early 1900's. mother Cornelia, children (14),
              my
              > > father-james Bartholomew
              >
              > hi Caroline,
              > I am a South african living abroad and have been unable to trace
              this
              > information through my Jansen family in Cape Town. Your info will
              be
              > much appreciated.
              > Regards,
              > Joan

              > For information on St Helena family history see
              > http://website.lineone.net/~sthelena/familyhistory.htm
              >
              > For the St Helena Institute's homepage see
              > http://www.st-helena.org

              > Flower united kingdom Call united kingdom St helena Family
              histories Ascension island

              Service.

              > Yahoo! Sports
            • Angela Booth
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 11, 2005

                Thanks for your reply, Crystal . The only other information I know for sure is that Alice was in England in 1891 with her two boys, but without her husband. She was still described as married, so I am, at this stage, assuming that he was still alive – possibly in S. Africa .  Percival was still there at the time of the 1901 census, but can’t find any of the others. Alice SPENCER’s brother went to S Africa (with Rhodes, according to family lore) and family lore also has it that Alice and her family followed.

                I would be most interested in anything you are happy to share, as I don’t have anything else to go on at this stage.

                Angela