Knipe and Paynter Families

  • ronwale
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2005
      I'm looking for information on my great-grandmother, REBECCA J KNIPE,
      born around the 1860's and married JAMES H PAYNTER. They had a son
      PERCIVAL EDGAR PAYNTER born on St Helena on 13 June 1886. I believe
      Rebecca's mother was a SARAH KNIPE who, I guess, was born around the
      1840's.

      Please e-mail any information you may have to me at ronwale@....

      Thank you.

      Ron Wale
    • Christine Adams
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2006
        Glennis Snell, who lives in S. Africa, is a Knipe descendant, and has
        privately published a scholarly and comprehensive history of "The Knipes of
        St. Helena." I believe that she sold out her printing, but some time ago I
        heard from her, and I think she was planning on making a CD available.
        She can be reached at glennis@... for information about purchase of
        her work.
        According to her book,
        Rebecca Julia Knipe [the only Rebecca "J." that she mentions], was b. St.
        Helena 15 Sep 1861, baptized 27 Oct 1861.
        She was the daughter of Frederick Bazett Knipe, b. 25 Jun 1830.
        He married Ann Roakes on St. Helena, 23 July 1858. They were married in St.
        Paul's Cathedral.
        She does not list any information about Rebecca's marriage.

        Glennis had an opportunity to view source material that is otherwise only
        available from the Archvist in St. Helena. That's because the parish records
        are available on microfilm at a repository in S.A. [details to follow]. She
        attempted to get those records microfilmed and catalogued by the LDS, but
        for some reason, that never took place. I know that for years she was more
        than willing to share the results of her research with other St. Helena
        descendants.

        But, she became so inundated with requests, that she was spending more time
        on e-mail than on research. Once she published her work on the Knipes, she
        has more or less "retired" from doing "look-ups" etc. She is now at work on
        a completely different family line.

        So, as an alternative to the Archivist at St. Helena, I might try contacting
        the following library, and asking if they maintain a list of researchers for
        hire. I believe that approach would give one the best chance of getting a
        comprehensive report of Marriage, Baptism, and Burial data for a family
        line. It appears from the source notes in Snell's work that these parish
        records date from the earliest time through at least 1912.

        As you may know, the period of time just after the East India Company was
        decommissioned is a little sketchy on primary source material available.

        I am happy to share whatever information I have on my direct Knipe line, but
        that's limited, as my descendancy ends with a female Knipe's marriage in
        1799.

        Office of the Church of the Province of South Africa (CPSA)
        Historical Papers
        William Cullen Library
        University of the the Witwatersrand
        Johannesburg
        South Africa

        Reference the St. Helena Film Collection

        Snell, Glennis, The Knipe Family of St. Helena. [Penny Lane Print, Ltd.:
        Praetoria, S.A.]. 2005 p. 297

        I hope this might be helpful to you or another list member.

        Christine Adams

        RE: "I'm looking for information on my great-grandmother, REBECCA J KNIPE,