Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Saints to South Africa

  • Nielsen-Ferreira
    Message 1 of 6 , May 9, 2005
      Your question is not silly. South Africa recorded the Dutch, the Huguenots , the British Setlars , the sugar plantation workers'  immigration  to SA but of  the ±2000 Saints who made up a big work force, "little"  if any, is recorded.
      We will keep on searching.
      June Nielsen-Ferreira

      Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 2:34 AM
      Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Saints to South Africa

      I know this may sound like a silly question but why did so many of the Saints go to South Africa, I am doing my geneology and want more and more info. It has become a bit of an obsession like so many others, I am sure. Is there a book that talks more in depth about it. I am referring to the late 1 800's. I would love to get answers that are more specific, anyone out there know of a good detailed book?? Thanks Sincerely Abby Euley Young

      Discover Yahoo!

      http://www.st-helena.org

    • A.H.Schulenburg
      Message 2 of 6 , May 10, 2005
        The following is an extract from my 1999 Pd.D. thesis:

        Emigration did, however, become a significant aspect of the population history of St Helena from about 1838 onwards.  Largely as a knock-on effect of the Crown's take-over of the island in 1836 and the consequent reduction in general expenditure and salaries, the colony's 'Blue Book' for 1839, notes that "the year previous […] an extensive emigration of the lower classes took place to the Cape of Good Hope".  Likewise, according to the official census report for 1881 "a large emigration [...] took place in 1871, 1872, and 1873 consequent on the change and reductions which followed on the opening of the Suez Canal.  Emigrant vessels were dispatched to this Island from the Cape and Natal, inviting emigrants and offering good employment in those Colonies to any who were disposed to avail themselves of it." Although the scheme came to an end in May 1874, St Helenians continued to arrive in South Africa throughout the nineteenth century.

        I have researched St Helenian emigration to the Cape and to Natal in great detail, but due to time constraints have to date been unable to write this up.

        For those who read Afrikaans, I recommend the following article::

        P.A. Erasmus, ''St. Helenas' aan die Kaap: Migrasie, Uitbuiting en Assilasie', South African Journal of Ethnology, Vol.17 (1994)

        Best regards,
        Alexander Schulenburg

        I know this may sound like a silly question but why did so many of the Saints go to South Africa, I am doing my geneology and want more and more info. It has become a bit of an obsession like so many others, I am sure. Is there a book that talks more in depth about it. I am referring to the late 1 800's. I would love to get answers that are more specific, anyone out there know of a good detailed book?? Thanks Sincerely Abby Euley Young

        Discover Yahoo!

        http://www.st-helena.org

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

      • LLOYD SCOTT

          I know this may sound like a silly question but why did so many of the Saints go to South Africa, I am doing my geneology and want more and more info. It has become a bit of an obsession like so many others, I am sure. Is there a book that talks more in depth about it. I am referring to the late 1 800's. I would love to get answers that are more specific, anyone out there know of a good detailed book?? Thanks Sincerely Abby Euley Young

          Discover Yahoo!

          http://www.st-helena.org

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          http://www.st-helena.org

          Yahoo! Messenger - want a free & easy way to contact your friends online?

        • Nielsen-Ferreira
          Message 4 of 6 , May 14, 2005
            Where can one get hold of P. A. Erasmus' article ? Thank you.

            The words "lower classes" are used in the article,  "Settlars and Slaves", too.
            Safrica.info writes:" Another much-contested scheme to compensate for the loss of slave labour saw
            a wave of St Helena servants imported,  which continued to the end of the 19th century."

            You have a good question about the records.  I presume the " lower classes" did not have
            money for their passage. The company who arranged for their emigration or the companies who
            hired them in  SA ,are possible places to look  for names. The upper classes paid for their passage and
            the shipping company may be another place to look.
            June Nielsen-Ferreira