Off topic

  • gregwithnail
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2014

      Apologies for posting an off-topic question. I'm writing a novel set on St Helena and would like to find a general St Helena messageboard where I could fish for background info. Despite lots of googling, this group is the only live-and-kicking thing I've found, and it would obviously be inappropriate to spam it with non-genealogy stuff. Can anyone here point me in the right direction?
      Thanks

    • David Beakhust
      Message 2 of 11 , May 22, 2014

        Still with a historical slant, Friends of St Helena http://sthelena.uk.net/ . use that addrsss,not one with FOSH in the url. The latter is an old domain that lapsed and is now being used by someone using some (allegedly) plagiarised content from the real site. Members get a twice yearly modest sized mag called wirebird, and this does also cover current concerns like the airport. Back number subject titles can be browsed without joining, but if a job is worth doing, join. This gives you access to more. I joined this because they have a few historical resources, still good for background to family history, and only accessible to members. If you have an internet radio app you can sometimes get one of the st helena radio stations, but it seems mostly lightweight stuff like records. It may help you gauge the tastes of the saints in music!
        If your need is to understand how the place is now,or recently, you really need to befriend someone living there, go there (not easy) or both. If historical, both the st helena institute and friends of st helena have info for you if you care to search. Current legislation, which follows english law but with a twist to suit the location, can also be found online, together with announcements large and small, everything from airport planning to water supply restrictions! Google will find most of it.
        I live in england, and my closest St helena ancestor is my 2*great grandmother, born there to an East India Company soldier and the daughter of a freed slave. I have had the pleasure of meeting one or two "saints" and have had research help from someone living on the island. Try to make personal contacts and your virtual library of background info will expand.
        Those of us who are doing family history do explore wider background issues, as this colours the whole history of the place. Also worth researching the East India Company and its operations there before the 1830s when they handed it to the british government.
        Families in British India Society — FIBIS — also cover St helena as their scope is the EIC, plus the Raj from the end of the company in the 1850s to independence of India in 1947. Fair to say, in terms of sheer volume much more relates to India.
        After the 1830s the company had no influence or presence in St Helena.
        Finally, search the British Library Catalogue. It is likely that "manuscript sources" various letters and so forth will give you another window. You have to go to St Pancras for that.
        Good luck in your researches!

        Dave Beakhust

        On 22 May 2014 09:06:59 "greg@... [st-helena-genealogy]" <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Apologies for posting an off-topic question. I'm writing a novel set on St Helena and would like to find a general St Helena messageboard where I could fish for background info. Despite lots of googling, this group is the only live-and-kicking thing I've found, and it would obviously be inappropriate to spam it with non-genealogy stuff. Can anyone here point me in the right direction?
        Thanks

      • Richard Vickery
        Message 3 of 11 , May 23, 2014
          Greg,

          I am afraid not (probably) the group doesn't appear to have much in the way of St Helena based respondents, if any. It's mostly we non-resident members who have no access to island based material. There is plenty of historical material to be found in the British Library system, it would appear though. A visit in person might be your best bet.

          What sort of material are you looking for?

          Richard

          --
          Rgds//Richard
        • Clive Alexander
          Message 4 of 11 , May 24, 2014

            Greg

            Try Margaret Rodenberg’s website

            http://www.mrodenberg.com/category/sainthelena/

            Clive Alexander

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 25, 2014
              Hello Dave

              Apologies for not acknowledging your message before now. The notifications weren't making it to my email for some reason. All sorted now.

              I was a FOSH member, and downloaded all the magazine back issues. Some of them were very useful indeed. I've found that as well as "obvious" research topics, the things I didn't even know I didn't know are often just as useful. For this reason, I tend to spend a couple of hours every morning just googling for various St Helena place names, etc. After four years it can be a bit stultifying, but every now and then I get lucky. Oh, the joy of a Google hit that isn't about Napoleon, Jacob's Ladder, or the airport! (And don't get me started on the Napa Valley!!!)

              The British Library is a regular haunt of mine. I'm very lucky to live about 40 minutes away, door--to-door. It's a great place, not just for rare stuff, but for books which are just prohibitively expensive to buy. I'm building a case for myself to visit the National Archives at Kew, too. Sadly, a research trip to the island itself isn't realistic for me, so BL and Amazon are my best friends for now.

              I really should have mentioned in my original message that my novel is set in 1870 - though this hasn't stopped me listening in to the radio online :-) Having been at this since 2010, I've already got several hundred or the more and less obvious documents and books from and about the period and location, and upwards of eight thousand pictures. I assume/hope I've acquired or at least seen all the most obvious sources, so I'm now down to nitty-gritty specifics. Often I'll read about something or see a picture with a description something like "victorian" or "Jamestown". I'm trying to really nail the historical accuracy, so in an ideal world, they'd say "2.14pm, 1 August, 1870" or "You know, just to the left of that cracked flagstone..."

              I think your suggestion of making friends with a saint is inspired. Trouble is, it's like deciding to go out and get a girlfriend, lol. Easier said that done, but I'd better start playing the field!

              Thanks very much for your input

              Greg

            • gregwithnail
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 25, 2014
                Hello Richard

                Thanks for your reply - and sorry for not responding sooner. My Yahoo notifications were being spam-filtered!

                I'm a British Library cardholder already, and you're right - it's a great place for research.

                As for what material I'm after: I've got (I hope) the major bases covered. The geography, the history, etc. What I really need now is little details. This is more or less why I described this message thread as off topic: It's not so much people stuff I'm after (though it's always interesting and often handy to know) so much as the sights and sounds, and the physical stuff about the island.

                e.g. 1. I once found a passing reference saying The Run in Jamestown "was paved over" in a certain year. But it wasn't clear whether that meant the paving-over project occurred in that year, or that in that year it was already paved over.

                e.g. 2. I found a statement that there was a railway in Ruperts, originally proposed in 1848. When (or even if) it was actually built, and - just as significant, but often ignored in examples like this - when did it disappear again?

                Greg

              • Richard Vickery
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 27, 2014
                  Hi Greg,

                  Sounds like you want an Historical Society rather than a Genealogical Society and before you crumble in a giggling heap on the floor I am pretty confident the purists in each genre would steadfastly defend the difference. I would be confident that sections of the historical society that are bored mindless from the requests to help locate great aunt Mary, even a little peeved and would be glad to entertain your request. for colour pieces.

                  in this thread there is a post by David Beakhust dave@beakhust.com he's with a website with the handle Friends of St Helena (FOSH). If he can't find you an historian he might know where to look.

                  Good luck with it

                  richard

                  On 25 June 2014 20:18, greg@... [st-helena-genealogy] <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

                • A.H.Schulenburg
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 27, 2014

                    Hi Greg,

                    As an historian, I wrote to you off list some time ago, but can't recall receiving a response.  Feel free to get in touch.

                    Best regards,
                    Alexander Schulenburg

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 27, 2014
                        Hi Richard and others,

                        The comment on genealogy and history took me back to reading the the summaries of the St. Helena Monthly Register 1810-1813  on the St. Helena Institute site. The Register of January 1813 has an item about agricultural improvement which brings together the names of Bagley and Hayward . I seem to recall that those names also appeared in a discussion of land usage around 1797. Thomas Gabriel Bagley was my maternal great grandfather. I have the Bagley family connections fairly well sorted out. But does anybody know who this Hayward person was? My paternal great grandfather William Hayward turned up in South Australia  (origins unknown) around 1850. He was known to have been a soldier, and I have found a William Hayward who was discharged from the British army in South Africa around 1845. Can’t find “my” Wm. Hayward using British Census data. Also there was an advertisement in the St. H. Register of May 1812 for "E.Hayward’s" shop. Any clues who these Haywards were ?

                        Harold E. Hayward

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 28, 2014
                          Hi Alexander - I replied to your email Tue 06/05/2014 13:02. Maybe my reply is in your spam folder. :-)