Musters of the troopship Athol 1836. image query.

  • beakhust
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16 1:50 PM
      I believe my ancestor Thomas Pollard of the st Helena artillery, by trade a baker,was aboard this ship and appears on the muster. Someone who has seen the film, tells me that the surname is missing, so he appears as [blank] Thomas. so it is not by any means certain that this is my man. He was apparently travelling with his wife and three daughters. I have been in touch with someone who has seen the film, and I believe the surname is obscured by a repair patch or the like, but I learned this a fair time after she saw it, so it was not still available to her. Here is where the mystery starts. I am sure I have seen this image, but have never seen the LDS film that records it. The source is IOR/L/MIL/13/14. I am sure can recall seeing the image, but do not have it. My fellow researcher has not shown it to me, and possibly did not make a copy. If I have seen it, it must have been: Online; Posted on a forum; Or sent to me by email. I have searched a good proportion of my 22 thousand emails, but not there. So, is this piece by any means actually online anywhere? I certainly cannot find it. Beginning to think I dreamt it, but I recall so much about the image and the writing that it was a heck of a vivid dream! Sure, I can order the film, and for other reasons, probably will. It is just the mystery that is driving me nuts...Secondary question. I am minded to order this piece at st pancras on the argument that although the surname did not photograph, enough might be seen on the original, even from the back of the page, to match or discount it. I am however a complete BL newbie, and don't even yet have a ticket. How likely are the BL to allow me to call up the original, given that a film exists? I have had "discussions" over that issue at county record offices.Dave Beakhust.