Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Caldwell, Daniel and Mary Manay

  • A.H.Schulenburg
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2013
      Re: Caldwell, Daniel and Mary Manay
      Here is a quote from Charles Darwin's St Helena journal for 12 July 1836:

      "My guide was an elderly man, who had been a goatherd when a boy, & knew every step amongst the rocks. He was of a race many times mixed, & although with a dusky skin, he had not the disagreeable expression of a Mulatto: he was a very civil, quiet old man, & this appears the character of the greater part of the lower class. — It was strange to my ears to hear a man nearly white, & respectably dressed, talking with indifference of the times when he was a slave."

      That is, Mary could have been any shade.

      Historically, the censuses distinguished between whites, slaves, Chinese and (at one point) Malays.  That is not to say that there may not have been slaves of Chinese origin.

      Regards,
      Alexander Schulenburg