Caldwell, Daniel and Mary Manay

  • Peter Bruce
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2013
      Caldwell, Daniel and Mary Manay Greetings St Helenans,
      I continue to look for information on my Caldwell family who lived on St Helena from about 1770 to about 1830. If you come across the following names or have any info on those folks, I’d be grateful to hear from you:

      Daniel R F Caldwell Bn 1816
      Henry Charles Caldwell Bn abt 1818
      Daniel Caldwell Bn 1788
      Mary Manay Caldwell  Bn 1797
      Lieutenant William Caldwell  D: 5 Sep 1774
      William’s wife Elizabeth
      William Jackson Caldwell  Bn 9 Mar 1773
      Ann Caldwell Bn: 17 Oct 1770
      Richard Caldwell Bn: 23 Sep 1781
      John Caldwell married 13 Jul 1833 to Margaret Ann Dove
      James Caldwell  Bn: 13 Apr 1834
      Captain Charles Caldwell (not on St Helena, probably England)

      Regards,

      Peter

      Peter Bruce
      peterbruce@...
      T  1  250 382 1880      Skype: peterbruce2

      4197 Thornhill Cres
      Victoria BC Canada V8N 5E6

      There is no power for change greater than a community discovering what it cares about. Margaret Wheatley

    • Peter Bruce
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2013
        Re: Caldwell, Daniel and Mary Manay Thanks Quintin for sending the 1814 census. It poses a mystery. Daniel married Mary Manay on St Helena on 6 Aug 1814. Mary was a freed slave which suggests she was likely black, possibly Chinese or mixed. Yet the census shows only one white woman. Were there white slaves? Were there Chinese slaves or were they all indentured laboureers? Were indentured labourers listed as slaves on the census? Would Daniel have listed Mary as white to allow her more opportunity, particularly if her colour was such she could pass for white?

        I am also looking for information on Daniel’s mother Elizabeth (nee Jacobs) Caldwell) who was widowed in 1774 (wife of Lieutenant William Caldwell).  She likely came to St Helena with William about 1770. It appears she took up with another man after William died and had two children by him -- Daniel (noted above, Bn 1788) and Richard (1781). The children kept the name Caldwell suggesting this was a commonlaw relationship.

        Any info you can shed on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

        Peter

        Peter Bruce
        peterbruce@...
        T  1  250 382 1880      Skype: peterbruce2

        4197 Thornhill Cres
        Victoria BC Canada V8N 5E6

        There is no power for change greater than a community discovering what it cares about. Margaret Wheatley

      • A.H.Schulenburg
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2013
          Re: Caldwell, Daniel and Mary Manay
          Here is a quote from Charles Darwin's St Helena journal for 12 July 1836:

          "My guide was an elderly man, who had been a goatherd when a boy, & knew every step amongst the rocks. He was of a race many times mixed, & although with a dusky skin, he had not the disagreeable expression of a Mulatto: he was a very civil, quiet old man, & this appears the character of the greater part of the lower class. — It was strange to my ears to hear a man nearly white, & respectably dressed, talking with indifference of the times when he was a slave."

          That is, Mary could have been any shade.

          Historically, the censuses distinguished between whites, slaves, Chinese and (at one point) Malays.  That is not to say that there may not have been slaves of Chinese origin.

          Regards,
          Alexander Schulenburg