Re:Jan(s)sen family

  • joan
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2005
      ?left for the cape early 1900's. mother Cornelia, children (14), my
      father-james Bartholomew
    • joan
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 30, 2005
        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "joan" <joandesilva@s...>
        wrote:
        > ?left for the cape early 1900's. mother Cornelia, children (14), my
        > father-james Bartholomew

        hi Caroline,
        I am a South african living abroad and have been unable to trace this
        information through my Jansen family in Cape Town. Your info will be
        much appreciated.
        Regards,
        Joan
      • caroline timm
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 5 6:26 AM

          I will forward your e-mail to the Jansen I know, he is married to my cousin and is currently living in Spain but I know that the rest of his family, mother, father. brothers, sisters are all in South Africa, so I will forward this to him and ask him to get in touch with you soonest.

          All the best

          Caroline

          wrote:
          > ?left for the cape early 1900's. mother Cornelia, children (14), my
          > father-james Bartholomew

          hi Caroline,
          I am a South african living abroad and have been unable to trace this
          information through my Jansen family in Cape Town. Your info will be
          much appreciated.
          Regards,
          Joan

          http://www.st-helena.org

          Flower united kingdomCall united kingdomSt helena
          Family historiesAscension island

          Yahoo! Sports

        • Angela Booth
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 6 7:56 PM

            Hello there

            I am trying to trace any connection to Scott Dreyer ALEXANDER born c 1848 St Helena . He m Alice Elizabeth SPENCER in London in 1870. They had two children – Charles S and Percival W also born on St Helena . I believe that it is possible that the family emigrated to South Africa .

            Any ideas or suggestions welcome

            Angela Booth

            Sydney, NSW

          • Crystal Williams
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 8 4:36 AM
              There was Alexanders that lived in Bo-Kaap, Cape Town - they moved there from St Helena Island - I think around 1872 or after that.  They were very dark complexions with sleek black hair - is your family dark? My great-grandmother was an Alexander from Bo-Kaap - her name was Minnie Alexander-not sure of her correct first name-but if it is that Alexanders then I know some more family of theirs. She  (Minnie) married John Solomons whose parents also come from the island.

              Angela Booth <akrb@...> wrote:

              Hello there

              I am trying to trace any connection to Scott Dreyer ALEXANDER born c 1848 St Helena . He m Alice Elizabeth SPENCER in London in 1870. They had two children – Charles S and Percival W also born on St Helena . I believe that it is possible that the family emigrated to South Africa .

              Any ideas or suggestions welcome

              Angela Booth

              Sydney, NSW

              http://www.st-helena.org

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • joan
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 10 4:15 PM
                --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, caroline timm
                <carolinetimm2@y...> wrote:
                > thanks Caroline,
                looking forward to future communication.
                Regards, Joan

                > I will forward your e-mail to the Jansen I know, he is married to
                my cousin and is currently living in Spain but I know that the rest
                of his family, mother, father. brothers, sisters are all in South
                Africa, so I will forward this to him and ask him to get in touch
                with you soonest.

                > All the best
                >
                > Caroline
                >

                > joan <joandesilva@s...> wrote: --- In st-helena-
                genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "joan" <joandesilva@s...>
                > wrote:
                > > ?left for the cape early 1900's. mother Cornelia, children (14),
                my
                > > father-james Bartholomew
                >
                > hi Caroline,
                > I am a South african living abroad and have been unable to trace
                this
                > information through my Jansen family in Cape Town. Your info will
                be
                > much appreciated.
                > Regards,
                > Joan

                > For information on St Helena family history see
                > http://website.lineone.net/~sthelena/familyhistory.htm
                >
                > For the St Helena Institute's homepage see
                > http://www.st-helena.org

                > Flower united kingdom Call united kingdom St helena Family
                histories Ascension island

                Service.

                > Yahoo! Sports
              • Angela Booth
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 11 5:53 PM

                  Thanks for your reply, Crystal . The only other information I know for sure is that Alice was in England in 1891 with her two boys, but without her husband. She was still described as married, so I am, at this stage, assuming that he was still alive – possibly in S. Africa .  Percival was still there at the time of the 1901 census, but can’t find any of the others. Alice SPENCER’s brother went to S Africa (with Rhodes, according to family lore) and family lore also has it that Alice and her family followed.

                  I would be most interested in anything you are happy to share, as I don’t have anything else to go on at this stage.

                  Angela