Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] St. Helena's Connection with New Orleans, Louisiana in 1866

  • Leonard Meek
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 19, 2013
      Terri, I've spent a little time looking through the newspaper files at the library but haven't found much other than probate listings. These did help me to find out where my g-g-grandfather was burried. At Iolani Palace archives I found the records of his citizenship and marriage, and his will and a bunch of letters. At the Bureau of Conveances I found the records of his land holdings. After he died, his former business partner sent his daughter, my g-grandmother, to Pennsylvania, along with his own children, to attend school at Mt. Pleasant Seminary. That was 1859.
      There's a lot of Cruz and Dela Cruz families here, as well as Portugese. They might be related to you.

      Leonard
      From: lemeek@...
      Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 07:34:27 -1000

      Hi Terri. My g-g-grandfather also came from the Island of St. Helena. He was a sailor on a whaling ship and settled here in Honolulu under the name of Magnett, but his original name was apparently Maggott or Magott. Others may have changed Maggott to Macket or even Margate. Verification of names was pretty sketchy in those days. He became a Subject of the Crown of Owyhee in the Sandwich Islands (Hawaii) in 1844 and married my g-g-grandmother in 1845. He worked for or was in business with a local business man until his death in 1859. It's pretty definite that the family was from St. Helena, but I'm interested in where they came from before that. Records show that they were "Honorable Company slaves," as opposed to domestic slaves, and they were litterate. If your ancestor came to Honolulu as a sailor, it may have been on a whaling ship.

      Leonard

      From: msulab@...
      Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 20:27:16 +0000

      Greetings!

      I have finally decided to write my family's journey form St. Helena in the South Atlantic to New Orleans, LA. The online class that I am taking to help me write my story suggests to use historical information in the narrative. My St. Helena - Hopkins and Coley (Cooley) family arrived before 1870 in Louisiana. I just don't know what compelled them to choose New Orleans. I know that one male relative left St. Helena and ended up in Connecticut and Rhode Island. What brought him to that area? As far as I know, I think the man in question left his wife and a few kids behind in St. Helena. I understand that he moved on to Australia in the 1900's!!

      Last night I was going through one of the US historical newspaper sites that I subscribed to and I was amazed at the number of articles in the New Orleans Times Picayune about the island of St. Helena in the South Atlantic in the 1860s!!!! Mind you, in the United States - there is a St. Helena parish in Louisiana, a St. Helena, Montana, a St. Helena, South Carolina and even a St. Helena, California. However, all the articles that I found in the New Orleans Times Picayune were about the island of St. Helena in the South Atlantic. Some were about the depressed economy in the 1860's and a lot were about comparing Napoleon's exile to the Confederate general - Jefferson Davis!!! (Were the St. Helena folks following the Civil War activity in the US in the 1860s???)

      In my story about my family, I want to include some historical info and I do know that with the opening of the Suez Canal in the 1860's and the closing of the British Naval base on St. Helena, people were leaving the island due to economic reasons. I want to find out why my family decided to travel in 1860 to New Orleans and what were the reasons???? The articles in the New Orleans newspapers implies that there was some connection between New Orleans and St. Helena. Sure, I read all about the attempt to save/rescue Napoleon from St. Helena that was originated in New Orleans in the 1830's. The house intended for Napoleon exists today in New Orleans as a tavern. However, my Coley (Cooley) and Hopkins relatives left the island in the 1860's? Napoleon died in the 1830's!!!!

      Why did my relatives choose New Orleans over St. Helena! How did they afford to get to New Orleans. The New Orleans papers described St. Helena in the 1860s as having the perfect weather and a great place to visit!!!! Why was this important to people living in New Orleans, Louisiana!!!

      If any of you are historians, please shed some light on this matter. I am so baffled!

      I would greatly appreciate any information!

      Linda Mehlinger

    • Leonard Meek
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 19, 2013
        Linda, during the 1800's, Hawaii was the whaling capitol of the Pacific, Lahaina, Maui to be specific. I would guess that whaling ships made stops at St. Helena from time to time, and probably took on crew members there. One of my ancestors came here to Hawaii on a whaling ship, and another went to New Bedford, MA, also likely on a whaling ship. If any of your ancestors worked for French speaking families, maybe they opted for a location where French was spoken, ie; New Orleans.

        Leonard

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 20, 2013
          Thank you again, Leonard, for the info. I will try to see what I can find. I also just saw your comment on another post explaining about the whaling ships and how they came into Lahaina, Maui. I just found a document showing my great grandfather was born in Lahaina, Maui. This info makes me think even more that my great great grandfather was, indeed, on a whaling ship. Now if I can only find an exact name and date. This is exciting!

          As for the name Cruz and Dela Cruz, I'm still stuck. I have looked for these and  Vera Cruz, Da Cruz, De Cruz, Crewes, Crews, Crus, any variation I can think of. My great grandfather's name was John Mitchell (or Monday or Napua) Cruz. So I have also looked for John, Juan, Mitchell, Monday, Monte, Monde, Mande, and any variation of any those names as well as any variations of William, Loui and Max Cruz, (my grandfather and his brothers).  Most of the names I am finding are from the Phiippines, Mexico, Guam, or Puerto Rico. I haven't found any from St Helena.

          Again, thank you very much for this new info. Every little bit helps.

          Terri

          To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
          From: lemeek@...
          Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 12:39:01 -1000