Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: St. Helena's Connection with New Orleans, Louisiana in 1866

  • julietc8
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 19, 2013
      Hello,

      I was thinking the same Frank. People left to find work and new opportunities.

      I haven't had a chance to contribute much to the group. But I'm searching my grandmothers past. I've been told she was born on St Helena but her parents were not born there. They were European/British??

      She and her siblings moved to South Africa to join other family and to find work as her parents, my great grand parents had passed away.

      So I guess people were left with no choice but to get on any ship going.

      If anybody has any information on the family names

      Jolliffe
      Or
      Benjamin

      I'd be very interested to hear about them.

      Thank you so much

      Jules

      On 19 Sep 2013, at 19:00, "Frank F. Craig" <frankfcraig@...> wrote:

      They left as ships that used to stop there for wood or coal, due to improvements in technology, no longer had to stopover. This caused a loss of jobs. Mix that with a few bad summers, crop failures etc and many folk left for new jobs, lives and opportunities elsewhere.

      Sent using BlackBerry®

      From: Linda <msulab@...>
      Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 06:46:45 -0700 (PDT)
      Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: St. Helena's Connection with New Orleans, Louisiana in 1866

      John,

      Thanks for the historical information.  It will certainly help.  I know that slaves on St. Helena were emancipated in 1827, and so I am still questioning why folks would leave  in the 1860's - about 40 years after slavery was abolished.  Slavery was abolished in the US with the Emancipation Proclamation of 1862 and I was wondering if this, along with the depressed economy of St. Helena at that time, prompted folks to leave.

      I realize that Napoleon died in the 1830's and so there is little connection with New Orleans after that. I still can't figure out why there is so much information in the 1860s about St. Helena in the New Orleans newspapers.

      I found it interesting that some of the St. Helena folks made their way all the way to Hawaii and this leads me to believe the folks on the island may have taken any ship going any where to leave the island. By the way, does anyone know of the  type of ship that may have taken folks away from the island.  I know steam ships were still rare in in 1860's, but would a schooner be the appropriate vessel or maybe a whaling vessel?  I want to start the first chapter of my family history book with my 5 year old  great grandmother in 1867 - leaving the island of St. Helena without her mother for the US - and try to capture the experience of the boat/ship moving away from the island out to the Atlantic Ocean. Any suggestions for a dramatic beginning???

      Linda Mehlinger

    • lester.palmer

      Message 3 of 16 , Sep 19, 2013
        Terri, I've spent a little time looking through the newspaper files at the library but haven't found much other than probate listings. These did help me to find out where my g-g-grandfather was burried. At Iolani Palace archives I found the records of his citizenship and marriage, and his will and a bunch of letters. At the Bureau of Conveances I found the records of his land holdings. After he died, his former business partner sent his daughter, my g-grandmother, to Pennsylvania, along with his own children, to attend school at Mt. Pleasant Seminary. That was 1859.
        There's a lot of Cruz and Dela Cruz families here, as well as Portugese. They might be related to you.

        Leonard
        From: lemeek@...
        Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 07:34:27 -1000

        Hi Terri. My g-g-grandfather also came from the Island of St. Helena. He was a sailor on a whaling ship and settled here in Honolulu under the name of Magnett, but his original name was apparently Maggott or Magott. Others may have changed Maggott to Macket or even Margate. Verification of names was pretty sketchy in those days. He became a Subject of the Crown of Owyhee in the Sandwich Islands (Hawaii) in 1844 and married my g-g-grandmother in 1845. He worked for or was in business with a local business man until his death in 1859. It's pretty definite that the family was from St. Helena, but I'm interested in where they came from before that. Records show that they were "Honorable Company slaves," as opposed to domestic slaves, and they were litterate. If your ancestor came to Honolulu as a sailor, it may have been on a whaling ship.

        Leonard

        From: msulab@...
        Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 20:27:16 +0000

        Greetings!

        I have finally decided to write my family's journey form St. Helena in the South Atlantic to New Orleans, LA. The online class that I am taking to help me write my story suggests to use historical information in the narrative. My St. Helena - Hopkins and Coley (Cooley) family arrived before 1870 in Louisiana. I just don't know what compelled them to choose New Orleans. I know that one male relative left St. Helena and ended up in Connecticut and Rhode Island. What brought him to that area? As far as I know, I think the man in question left his wife and a few kids behind in St. Helena. I understand that he moved on to Australia in the 1900's!!

        Last night I was going through one of the US historical newspaper sites that I subscribed to and I was amazed at the number of articles in the New Orleans Times Picayune about the island of St. Helena in the South Atlantic in the 1860s!!!! Mind you, in the United States - there is a St. Helena parish in Louisiana, a St. Helena, Montana, a St. Helena, South Carolina and even a St. Helena, California. However, all the articles that I found in the New Orleans Times Picayune were about the island of St. Helena in the South Atlantic. Some were about the depressed economy in the 1860's and a lot were about comparing Napoleon's exile to the Confederate general - Jefferson Davis!!! (Were the St. Helena folks following the Civil War activity in the US in the 1860s???)

        In my story about my family, I want to include some historical info and I do know that with the opening of the Suez Canal in the 1860's and the closing of the British Naval base on St. Helena, people were leaving the island due to economic reasons. I want to find out why my family decided to travel in 1860 to New Orleans and what were the reasons???? The articles in the New Orleans newspapers implies that there was some connection between New Orleans and St. Helena. Sure, I read all about the attempt to save/rescue Napoleon from St. Helena that was originated in New Orleans in the 1830's. The house intended for Napoleon exists today in New Orleans as a tavern. However, my Coley (Cooley) and Hopkins relatives left the island in the 1860's? Napoleon died in the 1830's!!!!

        Why did my relatives choose New Orleans over St. Helena! How did they afford to get to New Orleans. The New Orleans papers described St. Helena in the 1860s as having the perfect weather and a great place to visit!!!! Why was this important to people living in New Orleans, Louisiana!!!

        If any of you are historians, please shed some light on this matter. I am so baffled!

        I would greatly appreciate any information!

        Linda Mehlinger

      • Leonard Meek
        Message 4 of 16 , Sep 19, 2013
          Linda, during the 1800's, Hawaii was the whaling capitol of the Pacific, Lahaina, Maui to be specific. I would guess that whaling ships made stops at St. Helena from time to time, and probably took on crew members there. One of my ancestors came here to Hawaii on a whaling ship, and another went to New Bedford, MA, also likely on a whaling ship. If any of your ancestors worked for French speaking families, maybe they opted for a location where French was spoken, ie; New Orleans.

          Leonard

        • merilyn.pedrick@...
          Message 5 of 16 , Sep 19, 2013

            Hi Lester

            I have James Samuel Graham who went to St Helena with the HEIC in1827, with his wife Frances.  Two of their three children were born there - James Samuel in 1827 and our ancestor Mary Ann in 1830.  Their third  child was born in England in 1833, so they'd obviously left St. Helena by then.  Does this ring any bells?

            Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: St. Helena's Connection with New Orleans, Louisiana in 1866 [1 Attachment]

            [Attachment(s) from lester.palmer@... included below]

            Message 6 of 16 , Sep 20, 2013
              Thank you again, Leonard, for the info. I will try to see what I can find. I also just saw your comment on another post explaining about the whaling ships and how they came into Lahaina, Maui. I just found a document showing my great grandfather was born in Lahaina, Maui. This info makes me think even more that my great great grandfather was, indeed, on a whaling ship. Now if I can only find an exact name and date. This is exciting!

              As for the name Cruz and Dela Cruz, I'm still stuck. I have looked for these and  Vera Cruz, Da Cruz, De Cruz, Crewes, Crews, Crus, any variation I can think of. My great grandfather's name was John Mitchell (or Monday or Napua) Cruz. So I have also looked for John, Juan, Mitchell, Monday, Monte, Monde, Mande, and any variation of any those names as well as any variations of William, Loui and Max Cruz, (my grandfather and his brothers).  Most of the names I am finding are from the Phiippines, Mexico, Guam, or Puerto Rico. I haven't found any from St Helena.

              Again, thank you very much for this new info. Every little bit helps.

              Terri

              To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
              From: lemeek@...
              Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 12:39:01 -1000