Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Early 17th century map of St Helena

  • A. Russ
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 9, 2013
      Roger,
      A nice scanned copy will be fine. PDF.
      Thanks,
      Alan

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Roger Box
      Sent: Sunday, September 08, 2013 1:34 PM
      Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Early 17th century map of St Helena

      I am a forum member who was fortunate enough to visit St Helena last year to follow up my ancestral lines to Killin, Bradshaw and McCullum [c. 1780-1850].

      As a result of this interest I have just acquired a couple very early maps of the island from an old collection, however I am finding it difficult to discover the original source of one.  It is printed on paper with what seems to be French text on the reverse.   It is headed 'St Helene' with the number 127 in the top right hand corner.

      The map itself is in perfect condition, hand coloured and measures 12cm x 9cm.  In the bottom right corner it is titled 'SANCTA HELENA' within a scroll.  Three sea monsters are in the ocean.  In the top right corner is a small box panel showing a horizontal rocky view of the island stating Weft Zyde, opposite is a similar panel stating Noort Zyde.

      A single building is shown at the head of an inlet [coloured red] surrounded by trees, however it is positioned on the opposite side of the island to where Jamestown now stands.

      I have identified a very similar map by Petrus Bertius printed in Amsterdam in about 1616.  The map I have is without doubt contemporary with the Bertius map, so a date circa 1610-20 seems to be about right.

      At this stage I am reluctant to put an image up until I discover more about it.

      The other map from the collection was printed and published by Herman Moll in London in about 1730.  It states - St Helena - This Island belongs to the English East India Company..............'.  It also comments, St Helena is about 550 leagues West from Cape Negro in lower Guinea, which is farther from the Continent than any other Island in the known World'

      It measures 20cm x 13.5cm, is coloured and gives details of locations on the island.

      If any forum member would like copies I will print them [on card] and send the two from £10 + postage.

      If anyone has any information on the earlier map I would appreciate your comments.

      Roger.......................0044 [0] 1242 890517    UK

    • Roger Box
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 13, 2013
        Hi Alan,

        Sorry for the delayed reply, I'll be sorting out getting copies to you shortly.

        Roger

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 13, 2013

          Wonderful!! I'll be watching for them. I'll will be posting some old photos soon.