RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Mary Lions

  • John Coyle
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 29, 2013

      I lived on St. Helena from early 1967 to mid-1969, and cannot recall any rock formation which was formally or colloquially known as a lion!  However, there are several headlands which, when viewed from a particular angle, may be a little like a crouching lion.  Both Munden’s Point and Ladder Hill can look a little like a crouching animal from certain viewpoints. The most likely candidate, in my view, is probably Great Stone Top, and I’ve uploaded two images of it for comparison.

      This one I took from Silver Hill in 1968:

      and this is a found panorama: look at the formation on the left of the image, which shows that Great Stone Top and The Barn may indeed look a little lion-like from such a distance:

      Great Stone Top is, from memory, just visible from Longwood.

      John Coyle