[St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Mary Lions

  • jonathanparsons141@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 29, 2013
      Ah, that's another possibility (I found http://www.bweaver.nom.sh/grant/grant.htm when I followed your advise).

      As the report is only 6 years after my GGG was there I will go through it properly when I have finished transcribing and see how the two descriptions compare.

      Thanks
      Jon

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Mary King <mary25656@...> wrote:

      > Hello Jonathan, don't know if this may have any connection to what your relative was talking about, but I have seen reference on the net before to a hill on St.Helena that is shaped like a crouching lion, not sure if it is located anywhere near Longwood though, just a thought, google lion shaped hill on St.Helena and see what comes back.
      > Good luck, regards Mary.
      >

      > >________________________________

    • John Coyle
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 29, 2013

        I lived on St. Helena from early 1967 to mid-1969, and cannot recall any rock formation which was formally or colloquially known as a lion!  However, there are several headlands which, when viewed from a particular angle, may be a little like a crouching lion.  Both Munden’s Point and Ladder Hill can look a little like a crouching animal from certain viewpoints. The most likely candidate, in my view, is probably Great Stone Top, and I’ve uploaded two images of it for comparison.

        This one I took from Silver Hill in 1968:

        http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~jcoyle@.../STH_A_03_61.jpg

        and this is a found panorama: look at the formation on the left of the image, which shows that Great Stone Top and The Barn may indeed look a little lion-like from such a distance:

        http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~jcoyle@.../panorama.jpg

        Great Stone Top is, from memory, just visible from Longwood.

        HTH

        John Coyle