Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Mary Lions

  • Caroline Gaden
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 29, 2013
      Hi Jon

      http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/10915010

      Have a look at this... a lion gets a mention but it may not be what you
      are expecting!!
      Cheers
      Caroline

      --
    • jonathanparsons141@btinternet.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 29, 2013
        Ah, that's another possibility (I found http://www.bweaver.nom.sh/grant/grant.htm when I followed your advise).

        As the report is only 6 years after my GGG was there I will go through it properly when I have finished transcribing and see how the two descriptions compare.

        Thanks
        Jon

        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Mary King <mary25656@...> wrote:

        > Hello Jonathan, don't know if this may have any connection to what your relative was talking about, but I have seen reference on the net before to a hill on St.Helena that is shaped like a crouching lion, not sure if it is located anywhere near Longwood though, just a thought, google lion shaped hill on St.Helena and see what comes back.
        > Good luck, regards Mary.
        >

        > >________________________________

      • John Coyle
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 29, 2013

          I lived on St. Helena from early 1967 to mid-1969, and cannot recall any rock formation which was formally or colloquially known as a lion!  However, there are several headlands which, when viewed from a particular angle, may be a little like a crouching lion.  Both Munden’s Point and Ladder Hill can look a little like a crouching animal from certain viewpoints. The most likely candidate, in my view, is probably Great Stone Top, and I’ve uploaded two images of it for comparison.

          This one I took from Silver Hill in 1968:

          http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~jcoyle@.../STH_A_03_61.jpg

          and this is a found panorama: look at the formation on the left of the image, which shows that Great Stone Top and The Barn may indeed look a little lion-like from such a distance:

          http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~jcoyle@.../panorama.jpg

          Great Stone Top is, from memory, just visible from Longwood.

          HTH

          John Coyle