Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Watson, Harry or Flora

  • LLOYD SCOTT
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 28, 2005
      what is the family history?

      Tracey Meyer <tlameyer@...> wrote:
      hi thanks for getting bak to me, i realise that but was wondering if my mum could claim via her grandmother and that way i could do something or if i could prove that helen was dual nationality at the time of her death as i know my great grandmother was defnitely born on the island.

      LLOYD SCOTT <lloydcheyne2000@...> wrote:
      depends where Helen was born as ancestry visas go as far as grandparents.

      tlameyer <tlameyer@...> wrote:

      Hi there

      These were my great grandparents and they had a daughter called Helen
      Watson who lived in South Africa. I am wanting to trace my ancestors
      to see if there is anyway in which I can claim right of abode into the
      UK or to see if my mother can do so. If anyone out there knows
      anything please let me know or if you have a similiar situation please
      also enlighten me. Any help appreciated.

      Thank you

      Tracey Meyer

      http://www.st-helena.org

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://www.st-helena.org

      http://www.st-helena.org

    • LLOYD SCOTT

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 30, 2005
          Well my great grandmother and grandfather were both
          born on the island and then my moved to SA where my
          gran was born. Would that still make her part St
          Helenian, if we could prove that her parents were born
          there???

        • Tracey Meyer
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2005
            Oh boy so there is no hope for us then, how bloody
            awful.....

          • LLOYD SCOTT
            Message 5 of 9 , May 4, 2005
              You do mean great grandfather? As your Grandmothers parents were born on St Helena Island her birth should have been registered in the foreign birth register in South Africa which most immigrants in South Africa failed to register their children which stuffed up our lives today. Had your grandmother's birth in South Africa been registered this way your applying for ancestry would have been a breeze.

              Lloyd

              http://www.st-helena.org

            • Tracey Meyer
              Message 6 of 9 , May 4, 2005
                Thanks for the info, how come you know so much and
                where do you get all your info???

                So there is no way we can claim or prove although we
                know the facts then??

                Thanks

              • LLOYD SCOTT
                Message 7 of 9 , May 6, 2005
                  I have been researching for 10 years now. Due to the fact that my ancestors never tried to keep alive their heritage by not registering their foreign births,we ar a loss today so have to adopt to modern methods to emigrate to other countries. As an Australian I am now having problems living permantly in the UK through their neglect.
                  We can't change who we are but we can leave our offspring if their are any,options to emigrate.
                  Sometimes selfish,fear,ignorance makes people make drastic decisions which could change their lives forever.
                  They have practically written themselves off.
                  Take for example South Africa. People jumped on boats from Britain and went to South Africa. In the beginning no passports were needed to go to South Africa as it was a British colony. But look today how stuffed up the system was then. We cannot even find out when they arrived in South Africa or how as the records are in such a state of ''missing records''.
                  The lucky ones who could go first class naturally never went unoticed. However it was the steerage passengers who were only counted like sheep and on the manifest stated ''283 in steerage'' as an example.
                  If you went missing in the colonies people just assumed they knew how to spell your name or where you came from. Their was no passport evidence. Civil births only took place in 1864 in Ireland. South Africa 1895.
                  I am sure you can understand from these statements what I am saying.
                  The emmigration factor goes back to grandparents and great grandparents only if the birth was recorded in the Foreign Births Register.

                  L Scott

> [...]

                  > > This is the St Helena Institute's 'Forum for
                  > Family
                  > > History'.
                  > >
                  > > For information on St Helena family history see

                  > > For the St Helena Institute's homepage see
                  > > http://www.st-helena.org

                  > > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
                  > >
                  > > This is the St Helena Institute's 'Forum for
                  > Family
                  > > History'.
                  > >
                  > > For information on St Helena family history see

                  > > For the St Helena Institute's homepage see
                  > > http://www.st-helena.org

                  > >    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
                  > > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                  > > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

                  > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
                  >

                  > This is the St Helena Institute's 'Forum for Family
                  > History'.
                  >
                  > For information on St Helena family history see

                  > For the St Helena Institute's homepage see

                  http://www.st-helena.org

                  Yahoo! Messenger - want a free & easy way to contact your friends online?