Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Mary Lions

  • Caroline Gaden
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 25 4:13 PM
      Perhaps he just meant the places of importance viz Napoleon's former
      home and burial place.
      Caroline

      --
      Author of
      "Pounding Along to Singapore, a history of the 2/20 Battalion AIF",
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 26 5:18 AM
        I hadn't thought of that. However he goes on to say how there was very little to see. "Much of the interest attaching to the former residence of the great Emperor which was erected in 1743 as a farm and was afterwards converted into a habitation for the lieutenant Governor, is quashed when one becomes acquainted with the fact that very little of the original house beyond the foundation remains." But, if it was a form of speech he might of used, it could still mean he meant to see the 'lions' as you suggest. It is most unlike him to make a mistake like using lower case when a capital is needed as he seems to have done.

        Thanks for your idea, the more I think about it the more I think you might be right. I shall look out for another instance which would prove the suggestion.

        Regards
        Jon

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 27 2:40 PM
          Hello Jon
          The Briars, home of the Balcombe's (my lot) has been lost but the
          Pavilion is still there, the place Napoleon stayed when at The Briars.

          Longwood, his main place of residence, is still there and open to the
          public but has had to be rescued and restored as it was also in great
          need of repair, perhaps your relative saw it at its worst!
          Good luck with your research
          Caroline

          --
          Author of
          "Pounding Along to Singapore, a history of the 2/20 Battalion AIF",
          available from cagaden@...
          Facebook page
          <https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pounding-Along-to-Singapore-a-history-of-220th-Battalion-AIF/344892488956481>
          "From Baron to Battler, the story of Dr CUD Schrader of Walcha,
          1860-1900" available from <www.smashwords.com/books/view/129058>
          "The Schrader Letters, 1871-1896" available from
          <www.smashword.com/books/view/109893>
        • Mary King
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 27 2:59 PM
            Hello Jonathan, don't know if this may have any connection to what your relative was talking about, but I have seen reference on the net before to a hill on St.Helena that is shaped like a crouching lion, not sure if it is located anywhere near Longwood though, just a thought, google lion shaped hill on St.Helena and see what comes back.
            Good luck, regards Mary.

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 29 1:03 AM
              Hi Jon

              http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/10915010

              Have a look at this... a lion gets a mention but it may not be what you
              are expecting!!
              Cheers

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 29 6:00 AM
                Ah, that's another possibility (I found http://www.bweaver.nom.sh/grant/grant.htm when I followed your advise).

                As the report is only 6 years after my GGG was there I will go through it properly when I have finished transcribing and see how the two descriptions compare.

                Thanks
                Jon

                --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Mary King <mary25656@...> wrote:

                > Hello Jonathan, don't know if this may have any connection to what your relative was talking about, but I have seen reference on the net before to a hill on St.Helena that is shaped like a crouching lion, not sure if it is located anywhere near Longwood though, just a thought, google lion shaped hill on St.Helena and see what comes back.
                > Good luck, regards Mary.
                >

                > >________________________________

              • John Coyle
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 29 4:38 PM

                  I lived on St. Helena from early 1967 to mid-1969, and cannot recall any rock formation which was formally or colloquially known as a lion!  However, there are several headlands which, when viewed from a particular angle, may be a little like a crouching lion.  Both Munden’s Point and Ladder Hill can look a little like a crouching animal from certain viewpoints. The most likely candidate, in my view, is probably Great Stone Top, and I’ve uploaded two images of it for comparison.

                  This one I took from Silver Hill in 1968:

                  http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~jcoyle@.../STH_A_03_61.jpg

                  and this is a found panorama: look at the formation on the left of the image, which shows that Great Stone Top and The Barn may indeed look a little lion-like from such a distance:

                  http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~jcoyle@.../panorama.jpg

                  Great Stone Top is, from memory, just visible from Longwood.

                  HTH

                  John Coyle