Kerr Family - William wife Bridget Burns and son John maybe birn St Helena

  • Allan Taylor
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2 5:46 AM

      Dear Group

      My ancestor William Kerr was born in 1808 in Longford, Ireland. This is the address from his attestation documents to the 91st Regiment of Foot.  I believe he married Bridget Burns on January 15, 1845, in Ireland. They had four children in 16 years. He has a son James possibly born on St Helena abt 1840.  William came to New Zealand on the ship Inchinnan as a Fencible soldier.  He died on March 5, 1874, in Howick, New Zealand, at the age of 66

      According to his Army discharge documents WO 97 / 1001 William Kerr enlisted in the 91st Regiment of Foot at the age of 18.    He appears to have spent 2 yrs training and then to have spent four years in the West Indies (or it could be Fort Indies) before being assigned to St Helena with the 91st regiment on the 26 July 1936.   He appears to have spent 16 years on St Helena with the regiment as a private.  I have read all previous messages to this board for a clue to his name to no avail.  Family myth has it that James was born on the Island of St Helena and this fact is also mentioned in his obituary.

        I am hoping to find out if this was true or not.  If anyone can help shorten the search it would be very much appreciated. Unfortunately I do not have access to LDS records (10R/L/MIL/13-10R/L/MIL/16)1707-1967

        to search muster rolls as I work in Thailand and the LDS offices here do not have search facilities.  Any suggestions or help in proceeding would be very much appreciated

      TIA

      Allan Taylor