Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Birth Records

  • hysperella
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 12, 2013
      Hello,

      I am descended from this family and have found out that James Hammond Alexander born 1786 jumped ship to be with an American Lady called Johanna (no idea what her surname is but have the name Lady Patricia Hammond connected to them) on  the island of St.Helena, he changed his name to Ellick,so that he could live undercover so to speak i believe that Patrick was Baptized Patrick Hammond Ellick by Rev R Boys at St.James Church, Jamestown, on 22nd Dec 1816. James and Johanna went on to have 3 other children James Edivard Ellick born 1818, then they had John Hammond Alexander born 1820 and Mary Ann Alexander born 1823 these last two children were christened with the surname Alexander.  Patrick was apprenticed to Adam Hampton a Carpenter, he left St.Helena on the Lady Flora where he went on to marry Julia Henneman in Middlesex then in turn had children under the Alexander name my grandmother was Florence May Alexander born in 1892 daughter of James Hammond Alexander and Rosetta Saunders

      Best wishes,

      Hilary

      Best wishes,

      Hilary
      In a message dated 12/06/2013 20:07:02 GMT Daylight Time, clivealex@... writes:

      Hello Derek.

      Most of the Alexanders living in South Africa today, or other places abroad, are descendants of English folks (or Scots, but that is another story) who were born on the Island and then moved away when the economy declined during the 19th century.

      I can find no mention of a Peter or Patrick Alexander who was born on the Island in 1816, but that only means my data is incomplete. The Alexander family is enormous, and tracing them all is becoming an obsession with me. I will dig deeper and communicate with you when, and if, I find anything. If this is true, welcome to the clan, it’s always nice to find a new cousin.

      You can find our family tree on http://tinyurl/d7256x2

      Cheers

      Clive Stanbridge Alexander

      Somerset West,

      South Africa

    • Ath Field
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 14, 2013
        Hello Clive,
        Have not been back to the site for a while, so am trying to clear the backlog and saw your messages.
        I will throw another family into the mix - my wife Bobby was an Alexander, her father was George Alexander, and her great grandfather was Thomas Francis Caleb? Alexander born in St Helena, but moved to South Africa in the 1850's. His father was Frederick Augustus, as was her uncle in recent times. Thomas came to the then Rhodesia in 1890, so it seems all contact was lost with the rest of the family left in South Africa.
        Cheers,
        Athol Field
        Nchalo, Malawi

        On Friday, June 14, 2013 1:49 PM, Hils <sweetsha64@...> wrote:

        Hello,

        I am a descendant from the Alexander family and have found out that James Hammond Alexander born 1786 jumped ship to be with an American Lady called Johanna (no idea what her surname is but have the name Lady Patricia Hammond connected to them) on the island of St.Helena, he changed his name to Ellick,so that he could live undercover so to speak i believe that Patrick was Baptized Patrick Hammond Ellick by Rev R Boys at St.James Church, Jamestown, on 22nd Dec 1816. James and Johanna went on to have 3 other children James Edivard Ellick born 1818, then they had John Hammond Alexander born 1820 and Mary Ann Alexander born 1823 these last two children were christened with the surname Alexander. Patrick was apprenticed to Adam Hampton a Carpenter, he left St.Helena on the Lady Flora where he went on to marry Julia Henneman in Middlesex then in turn had children under the Alexander name my grandmother was Florence May Alexander born in 1892 daughter of James Hammond Alexander and Rosetta Saunders

        Best wishes,

        Hilary

        Best wishes,

        --- In mailto:st-helena-genealogy%40yahoogroups.com, "Clive Alexander" <clivealex@...> wrote:

        > Hello Derek.
        >
        > Most of the Alexanders living in South Africa today, or other places abroad,
        > are descendants of English folks (or Scots, but that is another story) who
        > were born on the Island and then moved away when the economy declined during
        > the 19th century.
        >
        > I can find no mention of a Peter or Patrick Alexander who was born on the
        > Island in 1816, but that only means my data is incomplete. The Alexander
        > family is enormous, and tracing them all is becoming an obsession with me. I
        > will dig deeper and communicate with you when, and if, I find anything. If
        > this is true, welcome to the clan, it's always nice to find a new cousin.
        >
        > You can find our family tree on http://tinyurl/d7256x2
        >
        > Cheers
        >

        > Clive Stanbridge Alexander
        >
        > Somerset West,
        >
        > South Africa

      • Clive Alexander
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 15, 2013

          Hi Athol

          Good to hear from you.

          We know of these folk, of course. I am also descended from Frederick Augustus.

          Thomas indeed went to Rhodesia. The family there owned Woodlands farm. You can read all about them on my Alexander family Tree. http://tinyurl.com/ll5ugzt

          Look especially at the “Alexander hall of Fame” page.

          Your wife’s name Bobby is most likely a “nickname” or abbreviation. I do not recognise any such lady. Neither does your name appear. It is obvious my tree is incomplete.

          Could you please communicate with me privately on clivealex@....

          It is always exciting to meet up with fellow Alexanders

          target="_blank">http://tinyurl/d7256x2

          > Cheers
          >

          > Clive Stanbridge Alexander
          >
          > Somerset West,
          >
          > South Africa

        • Clive Alexander
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 15, 2013
          • 212 KB

          I am attaching a descendancy list of Thomas Francis Caleb. You will find the listing of George on page 2