Mittons ethnicity?

  • Mars
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 16, 2013
      Does anyone (maybe Mr Honeybun?) know where to find the ethnicity of people in the St Helena documents?

      I see the names of Mittons people in the India Office papers (my grandmother was a Mittons) but since this line of my family is so racially mixed, there is debate about whether the St Helena Mittons folks were Portuguese, Dutch or African (or a cocktail thereof.)  On the U.S. Census, Joseph Mittons is listed as from W. Africa but specific ethnicity isn't noted.  Sources?

      Thanks.
      Mars Caulton, Chicago IL US

    • A.H.Schulenburg
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 17, 2013
        Just to clarify, the majority of St Helenians have ancestors from Europe, Madagascar, the Indian subcontinent, and/or West Africa.

        Although the island was discovered by the Portuguese, and later claimed by the Dutch, neither settled the island. The only Portuguese and/or Dutch ancestors a St Helenian may have had, would have been the odd passing sailor (and they could have come from just about anywhere).

        Non-white islanders were inevitably described as black, or, in the case of two distinct and temporary immigrant communities, as Chinese or Malay, until the late 19th century, when they were enumerated as coloureds.

        Regards,
        Alexander Schulenburg