Re: Birth Records

  • Clive Alexander
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 12, 2013

      Hello Derek.

      Most of the Alexanders living in South Africa today, or other places abroad, are descendants of English folks (or Scots, but that is another story) who were born on the Island and then moved away when the economy declined during the 19th century.

      I can find no mention of a Peter or Patrick Alexander who was born on the Island in 1816, but that only means my data is incomplete. The Alexander family is enormous, and tracing them all is becoming an obsession with me. I will dig deeper and communicate with you when, and if, I find anything. If this is true, welcome to the clan, it’s always nice to find a new cousin.

      You can find our family tree on http://tinyurl/d7256x2

      Cheers

      Clive Stanbridge Alexander

      Somerset West,

      South Africa

    • Mary King
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 12, 2013
        Hello Derek, don't know if this is of any use to you, found these entries on the India Office Family History Search http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/FullDisplay.aspx?RecordId=014-000087433 also if you look through the other entries you will see a James born in 1818, with the same parents as Patrick, I know the surname is not exactly
        the same, but maybe the sander part could be the maiden name ? good luck with your search.
        regards
        Mary King.
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 12, 2013
          Hello,

          I am descended from this family and have found out that James Hammond Alexander born 1786 jumped ship to be with an American Lady called Johanna (no idea what her surname is but have the name Lady Patricia Hammond connected to them) on  the island of St.Helena, he changed his name to Ellick,so that he could live undercover so to speak i believe that Patrick was Baptized Patrick Hammond Ellick by Rev R Boys at St.James Church, Jamestown, on 22nd Dec 1816. James and Johanna went on to have 3 other children James Edivard Ellick born 1818, then they had John Hammond Alexander born 1820 and Mary Ann Alexander born 1823 these last two children were christened with the surname Alexander.  Patrick was apprenticed to Adam Hampton a Carpenter, he left St.Helena on the Lady Flora where he went on to marry Julia Henneman in Middlesex then in turn had children under the Alexander name my grandmother was Florence May Alexander born in 1892 daughter of James Hammond Alexander and Rosetta Saunders

          Best wishes,

          Hilary

          Best wishes,

          Hilary
          In a message dated 12/06/2013 20:07:02 GMT Daylight Time, clivealex@... writes:

          Hello Derek.

          Most of the Alexanders living in South Africa today, or other places abroad, are descendants of English folks (or Scots, but that is another story) who were born on the Island and then moved away when the economy declined during the 19th century.

          I can find no mention of a Peter or Patrick Alexander who was born on the Island in 1816, but that only means my data is incomplete. The Alexander family is enormous, and tracing them all is becoming an obsession with me. I will dig deeper and communicate with you when, and if, I find anything. If this is true, welcome to the clan, it’s always nice to find a new cousin.

          You can find our family tree on http://tinyurl/d7256x2

          Cheers

          Clive Stanbridge Alexander

          Somerset West,

          South Africa

        • Derek Fryett
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 13, 2013
            Hello Clive

            Thanks for the message but I don't think that there is any direct connection with the Alexanders in South Africa.  My ancestors returned to England from St Helena and one settled in Liverpool and the other in London.  If I find more I'll get in touch.

            Regards

            Derek Fryett

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 13, 2013
              Hello,

              I am a descendant from the Alexander family and have found out that James Hammond Alexander born 1786 jumped ship to be with an American Lady called Johanna (no idea what her surname is but have the name Lady Patricia Hammond connected to them) on the island of St.Helena, he changed his name to Ellick,so that he could live undercover so to speak i believe that Patrick was Baptized Patrick Hammond Ellick by Rev R Boys at St.James Church, Jamestown, on 22nd Dec 1816. James and Johanna went on to have 3 other children James Edivard Ellick born 1818, then they had John Hammond Alexander born 1820 and Mary Ann Alexander born 1823 these last two children were christened with the surname Alexander. Patrick was apprenticed to Adam Hampton a Carpenter, he left St.Helena on the Lady Flora where he went on to marry Julia Henneman in Middlesex then in turn had children under the Alexander name my grandmother was Florence May Alexander born in 1892 daughter of James Hammond Alexander and Rosetta Saunders

              Best wishes,

              Hilary

              Best wishes,

              --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Clive Alexander" <clivealex@...> wrote:

              > Hello Derek.
              >
              > Most of the Alexanders living in South Africa today, or other places abroad,
              > are descendants of English folks (or Scots, but that is another story) who
              > were born on the Island and then moved away when the economy declined during
              > the 19th century.
              >
              > I can find no mention of a Peter or Patrick Alexander who was born on the
              > Island in 1816, but that only means my data is incomplete. The Alexander
              > family is enormous, and tracing them all is becoming an obsession with me. I
              > will dig deeper and communicate with you when, and if, I find anything. If
              > this is true, welcome to the clan, it's always nice to find a new cousin.
              >
              > You can find our family tree on http://tinyurl/d7256x2
              >
              > Cheers
              >

              > Clive Stanbridge Alexander
              >
              > Somerset West,
              >
              > South Africa

            • Ed Storey
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 16, 2013
                The East India Register and Directory for 1829 lists several Alexanders in its list of inhabitants. (some other years do as well)

                They are either farmers or widows.  The volume is available on Google Books

                Ed Storey
              • Derek Fryett
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 18, 2013
                  Many thanks - I'll follow that up.

                  Derek Fryett

                  The East India Register and Directory for 1829 lists several Alexanders in its list of inhabitants. (some other years do as well)

                  They are either farmers or widows.  The volume is available on Google Books

                  Ed Storey

                • artoriousellis
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 29, 2013
                    --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Storey" <ecstorey@...> wrote:

                    > The East India Register and Directory for 1829 lists several Alexanders in its list of inhabitants. (some other years do as well)
                    >
                    > They are either farmers or widows. The volume is available on Google Books
                    >
                    > Ed Storey

                    Hi Ed,
                    I am able to find this directory but am not able to open into the pages , how does one get access or do you have to subscribe?
                    Regards
                    Rob
                  • Ath Field
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 14, 2013
                      Hello Clive,
                      Have not been back to the site for a while, so am trying to clear the backlog and saw your messages.
                      I will throw another family into the mix - my wife Bobby was an Alexander, her father was George Alexander, and her great grandfather was Thomas Francis Caleb? Alexander born in St Helena, but moved to South Africa in the 1850's. His father was Frederick Augustus, as was her uncle in recent times. Thomas came to the then Rhodesia in 1890, so it seems all contact was lost with the rest of the family left in South Africa.
                      Cheers,
                      Athol Field
                      Nchalo, Malawi

                      --- In mailto:st-helena-genealogy%40yahoogroups.com, "Clive Alexander" <clivealex@...> wrote:

                      > Hello Derek.
                      >
                      > Most of the Alexanders living in South Africa today, or other places abroad,
                      > are descendants of English folks (or Scots, but that is another story) who
                      > were born on the Island and then moved away when the economy declined during
                      > the 19th century.
                      >
                      > I can find no mention of a Peter or Patrick Alexander who was born on the
                      > Island in 1816, but that only means my data is incomplete. The Alexander
                      > family is enormous, and tracing them all is becoming an obsession with me. I
                      > will dig deeper and communicate with you when, and if, I find anything. If
                      > this is true, welcome to the clan, it's always nice to find a new cousin.
                      >
                      > You can find our family tree on http://tinyurl/d7256x2
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      >

                      > Clive Stanbridge Alexander
                      >
                      > Somerset West,
                      >
                      > South Africa

                    • Clive Alexander
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 15, 2013

                        Hi Athol

                        Good to hear from you.

                        We know of these folk, of course. I am also descended from Frederick Augustus.

                        Thomas indeed went to Rhodesia. The family there owned Woodlands farm. You can read all about them on my Alexander family Tree. http://tinyurl.com/ll5ugzt

                        Look especially at the “Alexander hall of Fame” page.

                        Your wife’s name Bobby is most likely a “nickname” or abbreviation. I do not recognise any such lady. Neither does your name appear. It is obvious my tree is incomplete.

                        Could you please communicate with me privately on clivealex@....

                        It is always exciting to meet up with fellow Alexanders

                        target="_blank">http://tinyurl/d7256x2

                        > Cheers
                        >

                        > Clive Stanbridge Alexander
                        >
                        > Somerset West,
                        >
                        > South Africa

                      • Clive Alexander
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 15, 2013
                        • 1 Attachment
                        • 212 KB

                        I am attaching a descendancy list of Thomas Francis Caleb. You will find the listing of George on page 2