Re: Lind of Tristan Da Cunha

  • Irene
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2013
      Further to my last post:

      A document titled 'The Annals of Tristan Da Cunha' also refers to my sailor but gives him the surname Anderson. The family definitely comes to Hobart under name 'Lind' so not sure what his real name was. Lind is a very unusual name, Anderson is probably correct.

      I have now purchased a book 'The History and Postal History of Tristan Da Cunha' which says the only one of the five wives to come to Tristan with children was Sarah Bowers who married a Thomas Swain.

      I've seen 'Thomas Swain' written as 'Frank Swain' in different places on the internet.

      I've also seen Sarah Bowers written as Sarah Jacobs. I believe one of the other women was Mary Jacobs. It is difficult to verify at this point.

      If these names - Swain, Bowers, Jacobs, Anderson - from Tristan Da Cunha are in anyone's resarch and they can clear up some of the confusion for me, I'd be most grateful.

      Irene
    • Rob & Adele McLennan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2013
        Irene - I have  Anderson in my husband's tree but they were on St Helena. Isaac Anderson was part of the Royal Horse Artillery, married to Eliza Smith. 3 of their children were born on St Helena.

        Adele

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2013
          I have similar names but on St Helena:
          George Swain (Bap 10 May 1818)
          Married to Charlotte
          Parents of Sarah (b 29 Apr 1820 St Helena) who married (7 Dec 1839 St Helena) Richard Michael Constantine (b 1814 St Helena)
          Jackie Roy
          ((^: Have a Happy Day :^))
          JBR