Re: Mary Jane CHAPMAN born 1869 St Helena

  • lindyb1954
    Message 1 of 6 , May 21, 2013
      Hi

      I have had a look on familysearch.org and there is an entry for the Mary Jane Chapman - parents john and frances chapman - its the 1871 census
      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KD8X-HZD

      it shows the family back in Oxford mary jane is aged 2 and has a sister Elizabeth aged 4 and a brother john aged 7.

      There is also a entry for 1891 census for Mary Jane Chapman showing her as a visitor to an address in Gillingham in Kent

      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/QV9R-DMM

      i have checked the 1891 entry in Find my past and the family she is visiting is called Garrwood living at 29 Fox road.

      Both entries give her birth as St Helena, British subject.

      I also looked on the India Office list but could not find her birth entry but these are a bit hit and miss but they may be able to help you if you contact them.

      The India Office may also be able to help you with John Chapman's ary record, they won't do all the research for you but are very helpful and will give you some indication of what they may have.

      I have checked the 1861 world muster roll on findmy past but found no entry for John Chapman in the Royal Engineers.

      I have checked the other military records on find mypast and have found the following:_

      CHAPMAN John 1840 Cowling, Suffolk Royal Engineers WO97 Chelsea

      The WO reference relates to the class od records held at the National Archives in Kew.

      I hope this has been of some help and offer my sincere apologies if you already have this information.

      If I can be of any more help or you would like copies of what I have found please just drop me an email.

      Regards

      Linda

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "son29uk" <son29uk@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > According to family anecdotes, my great-grandmother Mary Jane CHAPMAN was born in St Helena in 1869. Her father John Chapman served in the Royal Engineers, and to date I have been unable to obtain an army service record for him. Can anyone help by telling me whether the Royal Engineers were in fact a presence in St Helena at that time, 1869. John Chapman's wife's name was Frances, nee Ashbee. If Mary Jane was in fact born to a serving soldier in St Helena, where can I find the record of birth? There is no record of birth in England, according to the G.R.O.
      >
      > Any help with this would be much appreciated.

    • Ed Storey
      Message 2 of 6 , May 23, 2013
        I looked in the War Office: Printed Annual Army Lists.  This is for officers only.  If the John Chapman was not an officer, I can't help much.  In the 1869 edition (Available at digital Microfilm download from the British National Archive.)  There is a Lt. John Fryer Chapman in the 7th reg't of Dragoon Guards.

        there are also lots of Royal Engineers listed.  No doubt, they were deployed around the world, not as a regiment, but as smaller groups.

        ECS
      • A. Russ
        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2013
          Hi,
          Do you have any military records on Douglas Harvey?
          Thanks,
          Alan

          I looked in the War Office: Printed Annual Army Lists.  This is for officers only.  If the John Chapman was not an officer, I can't help much.  In the 1869 edition (Available at digital Microfilm download from the British National Archive.)  There is a Lt. John Fryer Chapman in the 7th reg't of Dragoon Guards.

          there are also lots of Royal Engineers listed.  No doubt, they were deployed around the world, not as a regiment, but as smaller groups.

          ECS

        • Sonia Lane
          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2013
            Hi,
            Thank you for your help.  My John Chapman (full name John Burrow Chapman) was not an officer, was first Sapper and then Private, Royal Engineers.   It's possible he was only in St Helena for a short spell, between 1869 and c.1871.
            Thanks for looking.

            Sonia

            Message 5 of 6 , May 31, 2013
              Hi,
              No, I'm sorry, can't help with Douglas Harvey.

              Sonia