RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: St Helena Muster lists

  • foxhome
    Message 1 of 8 , May 13, 2013

      Sorry, this has been delayed but someone is working on it now and it should go on the website in the members only section in the next few days.

      One reason for the delay was an issue with the data. I have added the note below to the transcriptions. I was hoping to be able to look deeper into the records to see if there was a break somewhere where some of the data went awry but I have been too busy with other things. It would be good if someone else could look into it at some stage…

      Health warning!

      These muster lists have been taken from the records of the East India Company which are held in the in the British Library Asia, Pacific and Africa Collections under the generic shelf mark IOR/L/MIL/13/1-14 which covers the period 1789 to 1859. The specific shelf mark for the two lists reproduced here are IOR/L/MIL/13/10 (for 1819) and IOR/L/MIL/13/12 (for 1827).

      When I began my researches into the East India records I had the rather simplistic view that everything I read was correct and free of substantial errors. This is far from true and the muster lists finally put paid to this naivety. Having transcribed both lists I thought that I would cross check to see how many soldiers present in 1819 were still serving in 1827. Quite a lot it transpired. However, instead of aging 8 years some soldiers seemed to have aged only 5 and some 15!. Not only that, but in many cases details that were recorded on one list (place of origin, previous occupation, name of ship and place from whence arrived) were in part different on the other list. I checked my transcripts but it was not that. The records were just different. Why this should be so is guesswork but many of these records must have been transcribed from originals (possibly in the island archives) and sloppy work by clerks or even poor memory of the soldiers themselves has led to this confusion.

      The lists therefore have to come with a health warning! If the records disagree with other information then don’t be surprised. The best way to use these records is first to see whether a name comes up that you recognise. Check both muster lists to see if the name appears in both. If the associated information is identical then you are in luck. If not then you need to do some further hunting by tracking back to the earliest muster your name appears on. I would expect this to be the most accurate. If along the way you come across a variety of associated information, I would be glad to hear of it. It is just possible that the confusion occurred over one year between 1819 and 1827 and was carried forward to subsequent years; to know this would be invaluable.

      Good Luck!

      Colin Fox